Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheddars has been diagnosed with pneumonia, :(. Doctor gave him a shot and gave me some antibiotics, which have been a pain for me to give to him. He isn't eating much and drinks some, not sure what else to do but wait and pray. Doctor said I should see results by Saturday. Any ideas in the mean time what I should do? Especially for food! I feed him a few yogis a day since he isn't eating anything else.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a rat with pneumonia before and the only thing I could get him to eat was blueberry yogurt. Depending on what you're giving him though that might not be the best idea for mixing with meds, some meds shouldn't be taken 2 hours before or after eating/drinking dairy products.

A winner for one of my pickiest at medicine time was oatmeal, a little runny so it doesn't gag them and no butter, milk or sugar. Baby oatmeal if possible...

another HUGE winner was peaches, oatmeal and cinnamon baby food. Man I wanted to eat some of that stuff myself it smelled so good. :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much baby food a day? i just gave him a bit of peanut butter and went crazy but its so chewy that it took his breath away!

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can mix a bit of water with the peanut butter and make it kind of peanut butter soup, then it won't be so sticky. I usually just did a teaspoon of baby food/oatmeal with the crushed up pill, too much and they won't eat it all (at least mine won't) off the spoon and you'll waste some.

I also want to note that pneumonia is very very hard to treat and many times you're just comforting a passing animal. At least that's what I ended up doing with my Blizzard (rip blizzy) when he came down with pneumonia.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got some baby carrot food. He seems to have taken to it very well. I actually see an improvement in his breathing! W00t! God answers prayers! :) But yea... fed him a spoon of the carrots, all he is eating to my knowledge, maybe some hard food. Might give him a little bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts