Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the fleece, plastic pans/shelves and the cage, what are your ratties favorite chew toys? My girls just dont have enough stuff to chew on and they don't like the chew sticks I bought them. They don't like toilet paper/paper towel tubes. I need more ideas please.Vote for Max and Ruby at www.petsintheclassroom.org. Habitat Contest. Thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hmmm-We cut down a huge branch off our pear tree and made a bazillion blocks for them in different sizes-though all small enough to carry around, which mine like to do.

Other things-construction paper toys-cardboard-Popsicle sticks-lava ledges are a huge fave of mine to chew on-wine corks

if you drill holes in the blocks you can add sisal, hemp twine, palm leaves or paper through it for added things to hold on to and chew. Here is one I made my bunny, I make smaller ones for the rats. I've also done that with wine corks for the rats, drill a hole in them and add sisal to it, maybe some big plastic or wood beads if you want to get fancy.

Shih tzu Dog Canidae Lhasa apso Chinese imperial dog

·
Registered
335 Posts
My bubs l-o-v-e Lava Bites. There's something about the pumice stone that's pleasing to their teeth. I just bought them some applewood and they seem intrigued by it, plus they like loofa chews but those are more for flossing. I've heard that people also use mineral chews--they're edible, so they might give your rats more motivation to chew them. You can get them at petco or petsmart, Kaytee or All Living Things brand.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bookmarked it. That is good to have. I have access to dogwood and bamboo. I was surprised to see pine on the same list. I though pine was a no no.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Kiln dried pine blocks is fine. You don't want the sawdust or whatever stuff they sell to put in their cages. it can cause respiratory issues. A block doesn't have as much exposed surface, or the dust. Most of the toys you see in stores is pine and they are also safe. Though my rats seem to love apple, rose and pear best.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My rats go crazy for apple wood. I can even play tug of war with them like a dog over the stick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts