Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just got two new female rats to accompany my older lady rat who lost her friends. They are mostly nice and all get along but the new rats are trying to chew a hole through the bottom of the cage (plastic bottom with wire top)! It has almost worn through, and i'm worried it will eventually get big enough that they can just walk out as they please. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has ideas on how to prevent this. My first thought was to put something innocuous that tastes bad over the area they are chewing and I couldn't think of anything like that, rats seem to want to eat everything. Also I thought about flicking water at them when they are chewing. Has anyone else encountered this? What were your solutions?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I patched my holes with aluminum flashing sold at home depot and used mostly for roofing... it's thin and easy to work with but most rats won't chew through it... You might also get small aluminum patches from soda cans. It can be cut with tin snips... watch out the edges can be rather sharp. Drill holes and use nut and bolts or rivets.. don't use pointy sheet metal or wood screws or your rats might get hurt.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Aluminum flashing is a soft thin and pliable material that comes on rolls. It's a little bit thicker than soda cans. It's used mainly in roofing to flush the gaps around chimneys and such. I had a 1971 Ford that had rusted out badly that I bought for $100.00 back in 1982. I pop riveted flashing to fill the holes... I had to sand it so the body filler would stick, but as it was aluminum it never rusted again.... The car was taken out in a truck crash in 1993 with the aluminum still substantially in tact. Unlike steel, it's soft enough to bend and shape with your hands and it cuts with tin snips (giant scissors). I had to buy a big roll of the stuff although it only cost a few dollars and found some still laying around in the basement when Cloud chewed through the cage... It made for a perfect patch. And so far at least my rats don't seem to want to chew on the aluminum.

Again, when you cut it, you will have sharp edges so be careful and avoid using pointy screws where you or your rats can get cut on. If you only have a small hole, I'd think a soda can would do the same trick and all you would lose is the nickel deposit. You might even find one laying around near your house if you aren't into soda. You can file or sand the edges or bend them under and if you are so inclined you can make a nifty metal working project out of it. Or you can just patch the hole.

E-Z fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts