Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so yesterday we had a power outage stemming from my room. When I moved the bed away, I found chewed up power cables that were covered initially but they seen to have gotten that off. Also my one girl is chipping the paint off the walls and eating it. And I dont know the toxicity

Now the problem is I have to find a way to discourage the chewing. My mom has an idea of pure vanilla essence but not sure if it will be bitter enough to put them off completely. I never catch them in the act of chewing so scolding them is a problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
156 Posts
Some have had luck with bitter apple. My rats unfortunately liked the taste of it and it just made cable chewing worse. If you do try coating the wire with something, do a test first before coating all of them.

Moving the cables can help. To make things look nice to our eyes we tend to try to hide cables under and behind furniture and out of sight. Exactly where the rats would like to hang out while chewing them. Putting the cables out in open sight is a less rat friendly spot to sit and chew. Also you could try getting them off the ground. My rats seem to ignore cables up off the ground - even a few inches up on the wall seems to work. And at the extreme, you could put the cables into something harder to chew. There is wiring conduit sold at places like Home Depot. Or a piece of PVC pipe would work. Anything like that.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I pretty much agree with what inod3 wrote and add the comment that I always find it absolutely amazing that rats never seen to get electrocuted...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! I'll defnitaly try the suggestions out. The big important cables like pc and main cable is covered in pvc and hose pipes. But the smaller ones like my charger isnt which is a bit more difficult.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts