Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the single Critter Nation and my rats are chewing holes all over the sides of the bottom pan. Why is this? Are they hungry? Bored? Not enough other things to chew on? I need to know how to solve this as it is expensive to buy replacement pans, and it would probably happen all over again.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Rats like to chew. You could try adding more things to chew in their cage, add new toys and interesting things as well. However, I think you will just have that problem to be honest. You may consider getting the metal pans for your cage as replacements instead of risking more plastic ones.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
So.... Cloud went anti-electrical some time back and started chewing wires... I had to put her in the cage at night and she wasn't really into that after living free range for such a long time and decided just to chew her way out of the cage....

I went to the basement and found some aluminum flashing... it's soft and thin a lot like aluminum can material and is easy to shape an cut... I replaced the missing plastic with the aluminum by screwing it into place using machine screws and nuts rather than sheet metal screws so there are no sharp points... If you don't have an flashing you most likely can cut up a soda can to make the patches out of...

So all you need is some tin snips, a soda can, some screws and nuts and an electric drill with a small bit... If you don't have the tools you can borrow them, the can is free and the screws and nuts should cost you less then a dollar, you can shape the aluminum with you hands, just be careful not to get cut.... There are lots of ways to deal with the sharp edges on the aluminum... bend them back or file them or sandpaper them round... be creative....

Even though the aluminum is really very thin, rats don't seem to like to chew on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts