Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The free ranging is working out wonderfully. But, my dad basically turned this dump of a house into quite a beautiful and livable home. He put in wooden base boards all around the house...including my room. My rats have just recently discovered it and fallen in love. I NEED to figure out a way to make them stop chewing it, or some kind of coverage to turn them away. I know my dad will be furious if he notices. Plus he worked so hard on the house and it makes me feel bad. =/

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's supposed to taste awful and they take a bite and yuck! All the sudden they don't like chewing the wall anymore. Some rats can actually like the taste of it, but it's relatively cheap and a good first thing to try when you don't want them chewing something.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had some success with the Bitter Apple - it works better than not using it, and I would definitely recommend trying it as long as it doesn't damage the wood... I've had a few rats who view it as a challenge though! lol

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well then I will be trying some sour apple spray! Thank you both. And I'll inquire about how it will react with wood.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You can also mix up some unpleasant flavours for them too, I've had some luck mixing vinegar, cayenne pepper and tabasco with rabbits. You do run the risk of them liking the flavour though. It can stain untreated wood though so be careful. On varnished or painted wood your fairly safe.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I got some bitter apple spray to try to discourage them from chewing on the edges of the plastic shelves. I kept it up on the tray I store on top of the cage, and it fell over one time, letting out a little puddle. My Loki immediately went to investigate and then proceeded to lap it up. So yeah, I have the rat that isn't bothered by it. Fortunately, they've gotten bored of chewing the shelves a long time ago. The damage is already done, but they rarely make it any worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts