Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It's fine assuming there isn't anything on the bars that is toxic. Most pet cages ought to be safe, unless they've been repainted with an improper paint.

A lot of rats may chew their bars, I suppose they like the vibration or something. :lol:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Forensic said:
A lot of rats may chew their bars, I suppose they like the vibration or something. :lol:
:lol:

Someone in my rattie household likes to chew bars, much to my annoyance. I usually shout their names out, tell them stop and they do - for about 10 seconds :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol, bella just like puts her entire mouth around the bars like...I don't even know if rats have teeth that far in the back of their mouths? WEIRD

·
Registered
486 Posts
:lol: Maybe she's just trying to get your attention.

No, rats only have those huge teeth at the front of their mouths - I'm sure someone else could have put it much more "professional" than that, but I currently have a hyper Roxy climbing over me so can't think or type properly at the momnent. Lol.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I thought they did that when they were bored? Maybe getting more toys with help?

I had a rat who chewed the bars, but I bet she was just trying to escape. She has always been an escaper, she's always trying to get out of the bathroom when I let them run around in there. When I got a larger cage for my rats, though, she stopped the bar chewing.

Emster - I was under the impression that they had little tiny teeth back there, they just aren't used as much. From ratguide.com:

Rats are monophyodont, having only one set of teeth during their lifetime. Under normal circumstances rats have teeth that consist of 4 opposing incisors, two smaller on top and two longer curved ones on the bottom, as well as, a total of 12 molars towards the back of the mouth, three on each side of the jaw, both upper and lower.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I thought bar chewing was a way for them to say "I'm grinding my teeth. They're too long." ?? Let me know if I'm wrong, though!! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
My old rat Tarzan used to chew on the bars of his cage if he felt like he wasn't getting enough outside time. And he'd always wait till the lights were out and I was half asleep to start. Maybe your rat is trying to train you to let it out more?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've only ever had two rats chew the bars of the cage; one is my Lily (who is an odd one anyway, so we'll excuse her) and the other is my Wildun, Max. Max doesn't do it as a norm, but whenever she goes into heat she chews all night - I mean constantly from sundown to sun up. When she was little, she used to do this every night and it got to the point where she had chewed so much she had rubbed away the fur on the sides of her mouth and looked like she was constantly wearing pink lipstick! LOL.

I don't think it's unhealthy behaviour at all - it's just one of those things. I've had hamsters in the past that will chew and chew and chew for the **** of it - I don't see why rats can't enjoy a bar chewing session lol.

And Rach, rats shouldn't need to chew anything to grind their teeth down - they do it all themselves through bruxing etc. It is a good idea though, as if the behaviour suddenly starts (where previously no chewing has occurred) it might be worthwhile checking teeth just in case

·
Registered
126 Posts
littlehippiemomma said:
My old rat Tarzan used to chew on the bars of his cage if he felt like he wasn't getting enough outside time. And he'd always wait till the lights were out and I was half asleep to start. Maybe your rat is trying to train you to let it out more?
I let my boys out at least twice a day, so I really don't think they wish for more attention, unless they're too spoiled, that is! lol! But, each time whichever group is out, they're out for a couple hours, too! I guess they like their mama that much! lol! :D RAch

·
Registered
126 Posts
littlehippiemomma said:
I let my boys out at least twice a day, so I really don't think they wish for more attention, unless they're too spoiled, that is! lol! But, each time whichever group is out, they're out for a couple hours, too! I guess they like their mama that much! lol! :D RAch

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe adding a few wood blocks or mineral chews to the cage environment would help. When I got my girls they would knew on the bars but that behavior stopped when I added wood blocks and a mineral cone chew toy to their cage. Then again, for your ratties, it might just be them saying "Hey! Look at me! Give me attention!".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a little escape artist - Rupert - who chews on his cage, no matter time of day or mood or what. I've supplied many toys and chewables for him and he comes out to play often, so I've chalked it up to just a quirk of his. His cagemate - Roman - doesn't chew the bars, and he's also not desperate to be running wildly around the room. Rupert is a bit younger than Roman and has always had tons more energy. It sounds like one of those cases that varies from rat to rat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts