Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think marla's recovering from her depression. she was majorly depressed after mipsy died last wednesday - lying around and moping, barely getting up for treats.
i had taken her to her other cage at my mom's house (which is about half the size, maybe smaller than the big cage at my dad's house), which she immediately started showing signs of depression. i spoiled her with treats, which seemed to cheer her up for just a little bit. now i've taken her to the huge cage at my dad's house, and she has definately felt happier. but now she's started chewing...lots. i gave her a shoebox, and she shredded one of the sides. i've also noticed her nibbling on things she'd never nibble on when out of the cage- carpet, and wires (i stopped her before she could do any damage).
am i just overreacting, or is she chewing just to keep herself busy? i've been considering adopting a second rat to keep marla company, but i'm so busy this month- traveling out of state for a week in 2 weeks, and school starting in september, i'm not sure if i'll have enough time with my new rat, and making sure quarintine goes well and everything!
i'm stressed about having one less rat, and trying to keep the one rat left happy as can be. any help?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It probably is somewhat from boredom. Perhaps give her something to chew on in the cage so she can get some boredom out?

·
Registered
995 Posts
One of mine chews the cage bars and she has a running wheel to use and there is stuff to chew in the cage as well... But she chews the cage and it's driving me up the wall!!

WHY?!?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well... think of it this way... lets say your mom makes you hamburgers and hot dogs for supper (so she was busy okay? lol) but you don't like hot dogs... what are you more likely to eat? I think it has to do with what they WANT to chew on as opposed to whats offered..

·
Registered
995 Posts
*Shoulders sag* So if I want her to stop I need to make it so she can't get her mouth around the bars???? :?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Why do you want her to stop? And no not necessarily, you could spray the bars with something sour so that she doesn't like the taste..

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Could try bitter apple or vinegar or something similar.

Maybe she just likes the feel. Like people who chew ice or tinfoil.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My brother and I both do it. My mother would literally yell at us to stop.

Then I'd snap at her about chewing ice (shudder).

·
Registered
995 Posts
Ice, tinfoil..... You and anyone else that does that.... *Shudder* Eeeewww.......

·
Registered
798 Posts
... tin foil eh? do you have cavities? Because that is THE weirdest feeling ever when you have filled cavities and you chew tin foil... you know what makes me cringe? people who put their teeth on a fork while they're eating and like drag the fork out of their mouth Ughhh :?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
renay said:
... tin foil eh? do you have cavities? Because that is THE weirdest feeling ever when you have filled cavities and you chew tin foil... you know what makes me cringe? people who put their teeth on a fork while they're eating and like drag the fork out of their mouth Ughhh :?
No, no fillings. I think that's the only reason I can stand it.

I don't like the fork thing either. My front teeth are actually pretty sensitive (especially to cold, which is why I can't chew ice.)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm just wondering.....Wasn't this post about RATSYS chewing?? LOL :lol:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Sky14 said:
I'm just wondering.....Wasn't this post about RATSYS chewing?? LOL :lol:
Yes, but it could tail back to the same thing. Some rats may like to chew on different things, like cage bars and such.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I know I was kidding. lol

·
Registered
995 Posts
*Shudders*

I like to suck on ice sometimes but I have like 9 fillings and my teeth are sensetive to temp changes in general.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts