Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my rats the wooden chew blocks from the pet store, and they mainly ignore them. I also give them dried to a rock buns, which they seems to enjoy. But mostly, they chew their plastic baskets, hammocks, bedding, and at free time, the carpet (which annoys my husband).

What is a safe/good chewtoy that your rats enjoy? And how can I stope them from chewing the carpet? A firm no seems to encourage them even more!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Someone mentioned in another post to try and put a small amount of honey on their wooden chew blocks every now and then. That usually piques their interest.
As for chewing on the carpet why don't you try restricting where they go and lay down a blanket where you have them out for free-range time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My rats love this puzzle ball: http://www.petco.com/product/14922/Super-Pet-Nut-Knot-Nibbler.aspx

But I don't know what kind of nut is inside it, so when they reach the nut (which they haven't yet) I plan to take it away and throw the nut outside for the squirrels. I can't really say if your rats will like it though, since they all have their own likes and dislikes.

You could try pretty much anything that they can't hurt themselves with.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Looks like it could be a hazelnut or a chestnut judging by the picture with the textured shell. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The toy I got for them has a different kind of nut inside from what the picture shows. :) Maybe all of them have different but similarly-sized nuts inside. Dunno.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I can't really be of much help, but I read on here that to stop them from chewing on the carpet, you can try putting a little bit of pepper into a water bottle, spray the water onto the carpet, and it may stop them from wanting to chew on it.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'd be careful with the artificial coloring of these toys. Rats have tiny bodies and you never know what damage it does since they are so susceptible to cancer anyway. Have you tried willow branches and other safe deciduous wood? Avoid pine or cedar for the obvious reasons. What wood is used for the Petco chewies?

·
Registered
33 Posts
everything that i've bought and wanted my rats to chew, they don't bother.

they are only interested in things they shouldn't chew, wallpaper, paint, the actual wall![made a hole the size of my fist!].

they have stopped this behaviour now, must of grown out of it, or got bored.

when i was trying to deter them i tried using pepper, tabasco sauce, chili sauce on the stuff i didn't want chewed, however the rats simply ignored all of this and carried on chewing!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Parrot chew toys!!!! Mine is obsessed with them, especially the rope ones that are made to be frayed and fall apart the more they chew.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts