Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my new rats keeps escaping. Unfortunately she happens to be the rat that absolutely HATES being picked up so she is nearly impossible to catch.

I'm considering attaching chicken wire to the outside of the cage and securing it with zip ties. Has anyone tried this? Is it safe for them? I don't want anyone getting hurt trying to escape.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Chicken wire is round enough to let them get their heads through... I would try hardware cloth, you can find it cheap at most hardware stores like Home Depot/Lowes etc.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about the safety issue, but out of curiosity what cage do you have?
I have the 2 level Ferret Nation cage. It is the one on wheels with one platform and ladder with doors on the front. My new rats are full grown but skinny. They BOTH can fit through. Wafer was escaping all the time when I first got them but now that she put on some weight, she can't fit. Oreo is escaping constantly now and she is the hardest one to catch. LoL

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've decided on the hardware cloth. I never heard of that before but after the suggestion, I found it at Home Depot. I'm going to be putting it up tonight. It seems safe enough. I know they won't get through it and a common use for it is keeping rodents out of certain places... so hopefully it will keep my rodents IN. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts