Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Husband and I were watching Cheaper by the dozen 2 the other night. There is a rat named Chizzler because he steals things. My husband said he is pretty and would love a rat his color. So today we went to petco and picked up Chizzler. He has a mild URI but petco made me sign an adoption form saying they cover vet bills for the first 30 days so I will contact them about that. He is in isolation now. He took right away to a rope toy and a loufa chew. Chizzler is the size of a vary jumbo boy mouse so I am guessing 5-6 weeks of age. He is a bit dark for an agouti so I am wondering if he is black agouti? Anyhow...pictures...he looks darker in real life the bathroom made him more brown colored...

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
He looks similar in color to our agouti babies. They almost match their black siblings depending on the lighting. He's super cute, love agoutis.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just a warning, even though PetCo claims that they will cover the rats vet bill if you bring them in before the 30 day warranty has expired, they will try to screw you over in every way possible. They basically tell you that they will refund your purchase or replace the sick rat with another. They'll tell you that you can come back and buy the rat again (if it's even still there) after they finish treating it. I went through this process with my first rat Mrs.Brisby and it was not easy. I had to be very persistent, I even had to talk to the manager before they finally agreed to let me keep and treat the original rat I had bought and had no intentions of giving up.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually contacted them earlier and they said the same thing. We refund the money, contact the vet, treat him, you buy him back...I was vary clear on him not getting mixed in with the others and I will ask to create a contract saying just that. It's a business transaction. That's it. If they don't agree then I will keep and treat him myself. How hard was it to get her back? Did they say she was lost? Or that they wernt going to cover the cost?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Maybe the people at my petco were just really difficult but they basically told me that I had to return her and I could either pick another rat or wait for them to finish treating her (which would have taken about a month because she had an advanced respiratory infection) and then I could purchase her again if she was still there. They also refused to let me know anything about the vet care that my rat would recieve if I did give them the rat (because she wouldn't be my rat anymore). The people at my Petco aren't very nice and I didn't trust them to take care of my rat for an entire month, especially when one of the employees told me that I could get her back IF she was still there. Maybe the the folks at your Petco are nicer. Also, i could be wrong, but I don't recall the warranty stating anything about having to return the animal. This was about three years ago so I don't really remember. Well, good luck with little Chizzler!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told I had to return him but I do know 3 employees there who own rats or are rat enthusiasts. One of them Ashley, I am sure would let me know if I asked. She is a member of ratforum though I cant remember her user name. She got her rat boy because someone threw him in her face and said I dont want him.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: well husband said no we would treat him as any company that sells a sick animal cant be trusted to treat it properly. Him sitting in a tank by himself wont help any infection he has. I called my vet and was told the dose for him. He takes his meds better than any other rat...except JJ. JJ will just lick it out of the syringe...go figure XD. He sounds better but isnt completely cured yet. Any tips on how to help the healing process of a URI?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts