Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been giving my girls one choc chip each everyday as I heard this can prevent or help prevent respiratory infections. Is this too excessive? My last rat was so very poorly and I had to have her put to sleep and I'm a little paranoid for my two girls now. Also should I give them dark chocolate chips instead as this could be better for them? Any advice and opinions are much welcome and needed!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not sure if being given chocolate actually helps, but definitely do the dark chocalate, as it is better for them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It's not preventative. Just helps them abit to breathe better when they have a Respiratory infection. Doesn't cure the infection either.

·
Registered
479 Posts
70% dark chocolate can help with symptoms. I wouldn't give them sweeties every day, it just isn't healthy. It is a lot of sugar, and I belive most chocolates have small amounts of caffine, so if they are getting it every day it can be like if you ate candy every day. I've seen echinacea recomended as an immune booster to help prevent them getting sick. I found an all natural tea version that I sprinkle onto pasta or oatmeal that seemed to help a couple of our older girls who started to get the sniffles and make some funny noises in their noses. A week of the herb on pasta/oatmeal, and some vitamin C rich veggies and they were back to normal. They really liked it to!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much guys, I will stop the chocolate chips everyday and use dark choc when I think they need it!

·
Registered
218 Posts
You are going to have some disppointed ratties ;)

If they like the sweets you can substitute in fruit gummies and yoggies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts