Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So she's been choking (frothy gagging all the signs) and still breathing.... I don't need to do the fling yet (I think) but can anyone else help with what else to do? She's doin the head back ears back gagging thing but I dunno what else is happening.... We don't live anywhere near a vet (like three hours away) and
It's all up to me now.... Lips aren't blue YET

·
Registered
664 Posts
Most animals besides humans can breathe and eat at the same time so you don't need to worry about her not being able to breathe. For how long has she been choking? These things usually resolve on their own. I would just watch her.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya think so? She was pretty perky and running around about an hour ago, before this started... She's still breathing and doing that regurgitating motion. Bit lethargic,but still on her feet up right (not laying down). Still not blue or purple. Been about 1.5hr

·
Registered
664 Posts
The piece of food could just be lodged in there really good. Non-human animals don't need the ability to make complicated sounds for language so their larynx (the vocal cords) is situated higher in the throat than ours. Because of that, their sinuses connect to the trachea differently which gives them the ability to breathe while swallowing. So, if your rat is choking than she will not become oxygen deprived and turn blue. I would just watch her and if it doesn't get better I would look into making a vet appointment.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K, well then she's not blue (she's still breathing) thanks, that helped reassure me for breathing. But she's just getting weaker. Not standing very well, and doing the head thing less and less, does that mean she's got it or just weaker? It's been a few minutes since she's "gagged"

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SHES GROOMING HERSELF AND HOBBLING AROUND I think it may have FINALLY passed. Should I let her sleep or keep her awake just in case??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts