Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on another forum that rats that chew holes in their hammocks can put their heads through said holes and strangle themselves! This is freaking me out! They said it was a fleece hammock too, which I thought were safe. Anyone had any experience with this?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I really have a hard time seeing this happening. Maybe if they put their head through it, then another rat twisted it so it would tighten?

If a rat could get their head through something then that entryway would be larger than their neck, I do believe. And fleece has some elasticity. I just can't see it happening.

Did their rat get injured? Are they sure it was because of this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=84600

^That's a link to the original article. Farther down the thread, it says that the rat got stuck in a two-layered hammock, but it was the fleece layer he got stuck in.

It said that the rats neck and head were swollen, so maybe it was swollen from something else. I don't know. It's just kinda creepy and I wondered if anyone else had heard of this.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Never heard of it happening before. It sounds like a strange accident, that thankfully the rattie escaped.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd never heard of this happening either.

My rats don't really chew anything, especially their hammock. I think they know if they chew it, they ain't getting a new one for a while ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts