Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so, me and my partner have decided that we will probably be travelling up to see his family at Christmas this year. I know it's a bit early but we have to start planning for work etc, his family live about 300 miles away up in Yorkshire, it usually takes us about 5 hours to drive up however one year it took about 7 and a half! My one condition this year is that I want to take my babies with me. It would be unreasonable of me to expect my mum/family to go to my house to care for the rats on Christmas day or around the Christmas period. I'm going to struggle being away from my family as it is let alone if I know the rats are all by themselves. I have a small cage that I housed my two boys in when they were younger during quarantine http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Hamster-Extra-Large-Silver/dp/B00G489VY8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412337930&sr=8-2&keywords=hamster+cage but I'm not sure it would be big enough for three of them now. So what are the absolute minimum dimensions it is acceptable to house three rats (one doe, two bucks approximately 3/4 months) in for two nights? I'd rather do this where they will actually get human attention compared to if they stayed at home alone. Also for the actual travelling part, how do I keep them hydrated and fed? Without it getting messy! I was thinking it would be a good idea to start doing mini trips with them in the car to get them used to it. What carrier would you guys recommend as well? Bearing in mind it could be a long journey. I have this small animal carrier http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Brands-Animal-Carrier-Small/dp/B001RHGMR0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1412336170&sr=8-6&keywords=rat+carrier but I think it's too small, is it best for rats to have more space whilst travelling? Or do they feel safer in a smaller space? Any help, advice, experience is appreciated! :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Small carriers are great for travelling to further encourage napping which makes it less stressful. Getting them used to car rides is a great idea. As for the cage, it depends if they're going to be stuck in it for two days. If so, I would try to make a bin cage for them. At a minimum, I would say four cubic feet for the three of them (based on girls needing activity boys being lazy).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the carrier I have is okay? No I wouldn't keep them locked up, there's a huge bathroom they could free range in, and if not they will at the bare minimum have an hour out on the bed. They have a cat so it's not like I can carry them around on my shoulder as she is an avid mouser!!! But I would give them attention at least once an hour. And hopefully as much free range as possible.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just going to bump this up as I'm still not sure about the best way to feed and hydrate them for the car journey? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts