Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted on here a few months ago about my rattie, Remy. The most recent post of mine was about his choking incident back in August. He was literally at death's doorstep, I thought he wasn't going to make it. But he was still alive the next morning. I brought him to the vet later on that day, and he wasn't really making the respiratory sounds he had made while at the vets. She said his lungs were clear and that he most likely just aspirated fluid from the incident. She put him on antibiotics and benebac just to be safe for 2 weeks. During the first few days of the medicine, he was continuing the monkey and congested noises. They eventually did go away, and he made a full recovery after the two weeks. I was thrilled. But recently, this past month and the very end of August, his symptoms have returned. He is reaching the age of 2 years old this month, which categorizes him as an elder. The noises will and have been coming and going in this time frame, but these past few weeks up until today they have been happening more frequently, and worsening. The sounds he makes are congested, monkey noises, almost like a slight cough type thing too. He has wheezing too. He is lethargic when he makes these noises, and lately in general too. He even makes them sometimes when im giving him a treat. He gets very excited. I have been giving him small amounts of special dark chocolate to see if it would help him out.Poryphin has always been a large concern about him. I always find it on his paper towels, every single night. But I've been noticing it around hi noise and eyes more-mainly his nose. Sometimes he will seemingly make a regurgitation moment, where it looks like he will choke, but luckily he just swallows. I was wondering if mucus (almost like post nasal drip in humans) could be a culprit for this? Anyways though, so at this point im really in need of help. I need opinions on what this could be, what I should do, and what will be best to make him better and keep him comfortable and healthy. Could this just be chronic URIs? Or allergies, irritations, or maybe even a change in the temperature? It has been really cooling down lately. And what should I do? Bring him back to the vets? Call her to see what she thinks? Try and treat him with antibiotics again? I also don't want to destroy his good bacteria (though he LOVED the benebac which helps with that). All help is appreciated. Thank you! 

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Try putting him on meds again and ask the vet about their opinions on allergies or congestion medicine relief. It sounds a little crazy, I never thought of this myself for my chronic URI girl until recently when someone suggested it, but it could be partially allergies or irritation that allergy meds or an anti-congestant could help treat. I did a little research and found that giving children's sudafed liquid, or children's benadryl liquid might be helpful. She is on antibiotics now, and is sounding better for the most part, but some days she gets very congested sounding and makes similar noises like what you described (kinda like "foo foo foo foo" as she moves and breathes) she still always acts very perky and happy. But on those days she gets allergy meds and they seem to help most of the time. I've also been much more diligent about keeping the cage clean and cleaning more often to decrease the urine smell. I haven't yet tried the sudafed, but I'll probably buy it soon to have on hand just in case. I think her main issue is congestion possibly. Definitely talk to your vet first and see what they think. Here are some things you can show them to get their opinion on:

allergy: http://ratguide.com/meds/respiratory_drugs/diphenhydramine_hcl.php

nasal congestion: http://ratguide.com/meds/respiratory_drugs/pseudoephedrine_hcl_.php

I think if you get him on a decently long course of antibiotics and give him allergy or congestion relief meds as needed when he gets snuffly, it could help hopefully. Also, anti-inflammatories like metacam can help if it's an inflammation issue aggravating his symptoms. Def talk to your vet first before giving him any of these over the counter human meds. But show the vet those pages I linked because it might sound rather bizarre to them if you just suggest giving those meds to him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts