Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chunks of fur came out randomly

Hello!
I just noticed that my rat, Holly, has several chunks of fur missing. There's something orangey-yellow where the fur is gone. What might be causing this?
The chunks aren't too large, maybe from half the size to the size of a rat eyeball?

Thank you!

I found this picture online when searching for mild cases of rats with mites

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
\

It looks like that but not as big and I'm not sure if it's quite so red; Holly won't sit still for me to check. :T Does this mean she has mites?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would first treat her as though she did (easy to do, selametcin or ivermetcin dosed properly, can be done at home or the vets can do it). It could also be a skin infection such as staph, if you can get a photo of her I can probably tell if its that though. Staph tends to be wet / spotty looking. There's also other bacterial and fungal infections it could be, those are just the most common

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I'll look into that soon, and post a picture this afternoon if I can. Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ce283a0e-a217-4b92-86fd-d99729621dfb.jpg 8a5987cf-7fb9-438c-9647-e0c7a4a8be26.jpg

These are the only decent pictures that I took out of the dozens. On the top view the dark spots are missing patches (Except for her head, of course). There are more than just the other picture, but that's the only one I could use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts