Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All she'll eat is KAYTEE FORTI DIET, Which I got when I first got them, and later stopped giving them it because we know its bad for them, anyways , they're on MAZURI rat food, Sugar will stash it and eat it fine, Cinimin wont even grab it, yet alone I dont think she eats it, I'm not sure what to try, as I know regal rat doesn't taste that well, and Harland-teklad you can only seem to buy online. When I let her out she scourages over to the forti-diet, which is in a little rat basket, since I have yet to thrown it out, and rips at it and takes some. What should I do, now, Im just giving her food like fruits and veggies that they can eat.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Have you tried Suebee's and a good quality dog food? That's the only alternative I can think of if you can't order HT.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I doubt a rat will starve itself to death.Sooner or later when your rat gets hungry I think itll eat the same as the other.Try not to give in and just feed tit bits and fresh food too often or theyll get used to it.
Just try them on the new food on its own , with maybe some veg every couple days.Keep an eye on them to make sure they are not losing weight or anything and see how it goes.Im sure they just need to get used to the new food.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I take the hardass approach on picky eaters.

I'm not going to comment on whichever food you're using is most beneficial - because I don't know as we don't have either brand in the UK.

If you want to swap her food, and she won't eat it, if I were in your situation, I would cut out treats completely for a short period of time (maybe 5 days-a week). She's not going to starve herself to death because she doesn't like food - she's probably just got it in her head that she gets lots of yummies anyway, therefore doesn't need to eat the gross rat food.

Eventually, she's going to have to eat it (keep an eye on her though, make sure she doesn't start losing weight) and it might put your other rattie out for a little while, but when she realises that it's not as bad as she thinks she'll eat it. And when she's started eating, I would slowly reintroduce the yum bits again.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rats can be very stubborn with new food. I'd suggest giving it a while. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts