Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about how "wild" rats who live in rural areas will often make their homes in a nest that is burrowed into the ground. In other words, they're diggers. And I've also read about how these burrows are elaborate systems of tunnels and rooms, which are organized. There's a food-storage room, a bathroom, a nursery for the kids, etc.

Then, I gave thought to the "city rats," who live in the sewers beneath the city. I wonder how they look at their lives. A sewer is, basically, a HUGE, concrete...system of tunnels and rooms. In other words, a "city burrow." And I wonder if the city rats who live in the sewers think to themselves, "Wow! Whoever built this nest did an incredible job! It's so big! And this river sometimes brings us food, and this one sometimes brings stuff to eat! I could never build something like this!"

It just occurred to me that a sewer is, more or less, a big, permanent burrow, and how if we, as humans, were to encounter something similarly relevent to our lives, we'd probably assume that there was an ancient race of genius architects. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Humans are extremely arrogant, most would never admit an animal can do something superior. They would just have our ancestors get the credit.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right you are about that! :)

(Me not included, of course. Animals do many things that are superior to me, for instance, many of them can generally sense things much better using scents alone than I can sense, using all of my senses at once! :D )

·
Registered
546 Posts
Holly said:
It just occurred to me that a sewer is, more or less, a big, permanent burrow, and how if we, as humans, were to encounter something similarly relevent to our lives, we'd probably assume that there was an ancient race of genius architects. :)
ha, like the egyptian pyramids or stonehenge... that twinkle of perspective made me smile.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Houses and basements are big burrows too. :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gus tells me that my bed makes an excellent burrow, because of all of the different ways that he can wiggle around in the covers! :D

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
hmm, with their sense of smell i imagine they must really think we stink and are dirty and flithy beings. i can just imagine a city rat explain to a country rat about the sewers, "so yeah, they may be genuises in the burrows department but you really have to train your gag reflex down if you're going to live there"

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! I always laugh about how my animals perceive me through smell. I'm hoping that their thoughts run more along the lines of, "She smells like Mommy," instead of, "Whew! Take a shower, lady!" :lol:

For all we know, the city rats think that we built the sewers ~for them,~ so that they could have a nice place to live. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
489 Posts
i think its nice they have sewers to eat from and even can come up and pop by a local fast food restauraunt and get a bit to eat.

haha

they must love sewers. or i hope they do.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think they would love them - it's just like a burrow/nest, but bigger and more permanent, with running water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts