Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am wondering would rats be good class pets? I have done my research, I know to get them from a breeder, and know not to get a single etc. This is for a 7th grade classroom. Please help!!

Registered
Rats are loyal,loving playful and intelligent and bond strongly with humans,they are a companion animal like a cat or dog.I think they would love all the attention from the children But they do need a couple of hours a day free roaming Which would be a bit of a distraction in the classroom (plus they are thieving little gits so they would be stealing all the students pens and snacks馃槅)
So,I don鈥檛 think they would be suitable,IMO,they just need toomuch human attention and companionship,more than it would be possible to give them in that environment.

Registered
Rats need too much attention to be left alone that long, not to mention being hauled back and forth to someone's house during summer. Plus I'm sure there would be parents complaining about Rat Bite Fever risk. I wouldn't think a good breeder would want their animals being kept in a classroom either.

IMO, I don't think there's such a thing as a suitable class pet. Pets are more of a commitment than 2/3 of a single year; I don't think that teaches a kid much about responsibility.

We had class pets in 9th grade biology (two corn snakes, a ball python, a bearded dragon, a freshwater 10 gallon tank, and a 70 gallon saltwater tank) and I know for a fact none of them were happy or cared for properly. A friend and I took it upon ourselves to take care of all of those animals on a daily basis throughout high school until we graduated. Even then, only the fish, the dragon, and one corn snake survived that 4 year span. My friend adopted the dragon after we graduated because it became neurotic and aggressive due to poor housing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the free roaming me and the teacher have decided to free roam them at lunch and the breeder said as long as it is in a quiet spot in the classroom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The teacher and I will take them home overnight and over the weekends until we believe they can stay overnight or not

1 - 6 of 6 Posts