Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girl has a respiratory infection and I took her to the vet, my vet perscribed her clavamox/clavamax (not sure how its spelled) and i fight to give Daisy her drop she needs x2s daily. My vet showed me how to give it to her, which she took to it fine at the vet, but when I try to do it at home she squirms and tries to fight me with all of her might. It's a liquid medicine and I need to give her a drop of it, but it apparently tastes horrible which I can tell by the reaction of my rat. She gets herself so worked up when I try to give it to her, and then won't even look at me after we're done.

I was wondering if there were different ways you guys used to give liquid medicine to rats?

·
Registered
452 Posts
In the last 3 weeks Ive had to give metacam to Chamois and baytril to Wolf. Apparently metacam tastes sweet but Chamois still wouldnt lick it straight off, so Ive had to come up with multiple ways of mixing the meds.
Ive tried mixing them with mashed orange sweet potato, coconut milk, mashed banana, baby cereal soaked in honey water and coconut milk porridge. They all worked pretty well :)
Since you only need to give her a drop, you gotta make the mix portion as small as possible so that nothing will be left behind, like encourage her to lick their bowl clean to make sure she gets every single bit of the med

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I called my vet actually on saturday cause Daisy still doesn't sound any better so i'm not sure the Clavamox is helping. I'm going back to the vet to try a new antibiotic later today and hopefully that will make her better! She's kinda traumatized from the medicine, she gives me a really hard time when I try to take her out for free range since she thinks that i'm just taking her out to get medicine so i'll have to try your suggestions for the new antibiotic!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
What concentration clavamox? A drop is a really unaccurate way of dosing, you really want a measurement in ml and use a 1 ml syringe to measure the right amount.

As to how to give it, very few rats actually like meds (I've had one weird one that would lick metacam voluntarily but that is a rarity) most rats you need to use other methods. The first port of call is to mix it with something tasty. The best option depends on the rat, some like sweet, some like savoury. Try a few different options and see which she likes. Things like chocolate spread, sweet baby foods or mushed banana are good as sweet options, liver paste, nutrical, savoury baby foods and smooth fish dog/.cat food are good savoury options.

Failing that the next option is syringing it in, wrap the rat in a towel and fit the 1 ml syring loaded with meds in the corner of her mouth behind her teeth, squirt 0.1ml in at a time max until you reach the right amount. They hate it so squirm and its a fair bit less simple than that sounds but its doable.

If I've got an awkward one I tend to try one food stuff then if they don't like it they get it syringed, then the next time I try a different food stuff, and so on until I find one they like, or they figure out eating it in food is less bad than syringing

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just went back to the vet and my vet gave me Orbax to try instead. 1mL once per day. I just tried giving it to her through the syringe again and she threw the same fit. And after I had finally gotten it into her, she laid on my bed, and then kind of tried slithering around on my bed, which I don't think is normal for rats. I don't know if she works herself up so much that she acts like that after or if that's a side effect?

The orbax smelled alot better then the clavamox but Daisy still refused. So I'm nervous to try and mix it with another food and see if she would even eat it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've honestly never heard of either of those medications, my rats have been prescribed Baytril in the past for URIs. Maybe try putting a small dab of yogurt on the end of the syringe and when she starts to lick it, inject the medicine into her mouth that way? I hope you figure it out and that she gets better!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The slithering thing is her trying to wipe her mouth on anything she can touch, its normal when they get something icky. A bit amusing too...

Orbax isn't one I've come across before, it looks a good med for abcesses etc, however it doesn't look like it would be much good against your standard myco respiratory infection (it might be but I'd have to look into the mechanism a lot further). I'd be tempted to order baytril and doxy online, if she's over about 4 months its worth trying those first for a URI.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had her for almost two years come April, my vet did give her a baytril shot and another one which I forget what it was when I first took her in. She does seem a little bit better from when I first started the medications. The only problem I have is that I have no job and I've already spent $150 in vet bills on her for this URI.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts