Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hammocks are starting to get a little stinky and going out and buying new ones every time is starting to get expensive.. I usually just wash them in the sink and let them air dry but they still smell bad??? And I also have hammock like hanging areas that are for birds but my rat uses them and they still hold in that stink too.. I'm getting a CN and I wanted to do fleece liners but If I can't find a way to keep this stink out then that will be a no.. Any ideas?? And does anyone know if fleece hammocks are safe in a washer and dryer?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I put my fleece in the washer and dryer all the time. I didn't even think about it being a problem (Oops) but nothing has even happened to them. My liners go in the washer and dryer as well. I have unscented, hypoallergenic detergent that I use to wash my rattie fabrics and neither of my rats seems to have a problem with it. My fleece comes out clean and freah each time. :3

·
Registered
539 Posts
I toss all of my fleece into a bucket with water and vinegar, leave them to soak for 2-8 hours (depending on my schedule), and then air dry them. They don't smell at all after that.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'll second the vinegar soak. Though I do run mine through the washer. I set it to soak and put in a fairly large amount of vinegar.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use the Oxy-Clean laundry additive for all my laundry. Works well to get the stink out. I also use Arm and Hammer brand detergent. Maybe adding a bit of baking soda to wash would help too

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rat urine tends to permeate fabrics in my household and the washing machine doesn't do a good job at removing these odors. I too wash my hammocks in the sink presoaking them in Dawn dishwashing soap. After handwashing the hammocks, I let them sit in a vinegar solution and then rinse. This seems to remove most of the smell, but not all.

Keep in mind though rats mark their territory, so removing all of their markings just makes them mark more. So, I think having a bit of their 'scent' impregnated in their hammocks is good for them.

Instead of buying hammocks I purchase fleece blankets and cut them up and double the the fabric so the rats can hide between them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wash all the rattie stuff in the washer too... but I always use vinegar in the washer load (just because I think that heavy soaps and fabric softeners just make a sticky surface for odors and bacteria to cling to). And for drying I always air dry in direct sunlight (I find the light kills odors) and if it`s bad weather I throw in the dryer on a hotter setting.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I agree on drying in the sun when available as well. I usually use the dryer, but once in awhile I like to dry things in the sun. Throw carpets and things can really seem to benefit from that as well. If something is really bad smelling, rinsing in vinegar and not rinsing the vinegar out and then drying the sun will usually clear away any smell. Vinegar will only smell while wet, once it drys the smell goes away.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I put my rat laundry in a five gallon bucket of hot water and pour 2-4 cups of white vinegar in it, let it soak for 1-2 hours then wash the whole lot in the washer on cold. I use free and clear detergent and NO FABRIC SOFTENER.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I do quite a bit at once when I clean my whole double critter nation, I'm so thankful to have my own washer & dryer!
I use vinegar in the tub with a quick rinse cycle, then a regular wash with more vinegar and unscented laundry soap. Works for me. This is with hammocks, liners, and fleece that fill their snuggle baskets.

White vinegar is your friend against pee smells. Cheap too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts