Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Critter Nation cage for my 3 boys, the plastic trays are hard to clean , the odors seem to stay, have tried soap/water/vinegar, looking for something else that might help. That is rat friendly,. Being in Canada , it is difficult to find stuff, tried contacting Bass Pans, no answer. The metal liners did look promising.Yes , the rats are very clean(grooming, etc. it is what they leave behind is not. )Any ideas? thx

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I've never had that issue with the pans. Vinegar should take out the smell easily. Perhaps try soaking it in vinegar? I use vinegar for all of my cleaning and it just eats right through all of the urine odors.

What are you using for bedding?
Are they smelling right after you are done cleaning? Or soon after? How often are you cleaning?

If they are super old maybe it is just time to replace them. You can buy new trays.

Are you sure it is the trays and not the cage itself? One issue with the CN is it has some itty bitty spaces between bars that can trap some gunk and need to be cleaned.

You can try litterbox training, you may not have huge luck but it will cut down on some of the urine on the trays. Put a litter box with a large rock inside. Rats will naturally pee on the rock which will cut down on pee elsewhere in the cage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the cage is 1 year old. I should use pure vinegar instead of a diluted wash., rinse real good. The resident uses the litter box, the 2 new guys sometimes, but will still curl up in it,,and still poop and pee anywhere. Will try the rock, maybe if it big , they won't curl up in box, thanks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'd also agree that it may be some other part of the cage. Unless you are not taking them out? I do take them out and clean the backs as well.

Back of the cage may need to cleaned. If you don't pull it out from the wall and clean the back, that may need to be done, as well as cleaning the wall itself. Their are holes where the doors shut that can get gunk down in them. I spray natures miracle down them. I've also taken the cage apart once and took it outside to really spray down those weird places and make sure there was nothing gross getting trapped in those wierd hollow places.

I mostly use vinegar for cleaning as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts