Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how exactly and how often should I clean my 2 girls?

also when will they stop being scared of me :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do mine if they start to smell
and use pet soap in the bath tub
with enough water to cover the bottom
but with their feet still able to touch the
bottom

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I don't bathe mine unless they're really rank or sticky. Water scares them and definitely won't make them happy with you.

Keep talking to them, handling them, carrying them about. Each rat will get used to you at its own pace.

·
Registered
546 Posts
sometimes if my girls aren't terribly dirty, but i think they're being lazy in the cleaning department, i just get them a little wet, which kind of prompts them to clean themselves better. i just get a washcloth and a bowl of water and go to where they're playing/sleeping. with young rats it usually does the trick; they kind of go, "what's all this water on me? i'll groom it off... and i'll groom it off of everyone else, too."

with older rats, i use a toothbrush and baby soap if necessary, usually only on trouble spots. i've had some old ladies absolutely refuse to clean the near half of their tails, which got pretty gross. a soft, wet toothbrush to scrub and a washcloth to wipe it off works.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've never had to clean our two girls. Keeping their cage clean seems to be enough to keep them clean, though I'm sure that's not the case with all rats.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i should clean them atleast until they stop peing on me and also themselves. When they clean themself all they are doing is moving the pee smell around :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They will eventually stop peeing on you, but that's actually a compliment. :) Mean's you're theirs... same for peeing on each other. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
lol If you ever figure out how to get them to stop peeing, let the rest of us know? :D

If just just keep their cage spot cleaned, the peeing on each other will diminish. If the cage is *too* clean, it can cause them to mark more to make things smell like them.

If they sleep in an igloo and smell bad, change the bedding the in igloo more often. I have 7 rats, and I change litter boxes and igloos twice a week. If they sleep in a hammock mostly, try washing them more often. Hammocks really tend to 'spread the smell around' too.

Also, providing them with a heavy, shallow dish of water once in a while may encourage them to clean. A lot of rats will generally use the clean watter to wash themselves a bit. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts