Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as I wrote in my "Say Hello" post, I bought two 6 week old male rats about 2 weeks ago. Without repeating the whole story again, they both came down with URI's, the vet prescribed Orbax, I lost one of them within days (I believe he had other problems too as he was the runt) but the other boy, Genghis, has continued treatment and has been acting better. He still sneezes occasionally but he only made guinea pig sounds/sneezing fit noises very rarely (maybe a total of about 10 combined seconds combined for about 4 days now). He is silent to my ears when I listen to his chest and makes no sounds even when running around like crazy for hours. He has a great appetite, loves to play and explore, and only has a tiny bit of porphryin right after waking up but quickly cleans it and doesnt have anymore for the rest of the day. As of today he has a bit of CLEAR nasal discharge after sneezing. Is this just a result of the infection breaking up? Or does this mean something bad? I think of it as the runny nose people get when a cold is draining and that as long as it isnt colored it is ok. What does everyone else think? He will be on the Orbax two weeks this next wednesday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
::UPDATE:: Genghis finished his 2 weeks of orbax this past Wednesday. He hasn't made any strange sounds in about a week but he still sneezes and OCASSIONALLY has a tiny droplet if clear nasal discharge. He is acting completely normal, eating like a pig, drinking, constantly wants to play and lick and groom my arms. Is it possible he is just a "sneezy" rat? Or that he could just have mild allergies but not a URI? I ask because yesterday I picked up to 5 week old boys to be his future brothers, I'm currently quarentining them in a seperate room. I'm trying to judge when I can start introductions. It has been almost 3 weeks since Genghis started his treatment and he has been alone completely for 2, and the new boys have been quarentined with the breeder (she is a very small local breeder) about since birth. Any advice is welcomed!!!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Rats commonly have a wet nose, like a dog does. That is normal. My girls sneeze periodically and there is nothing wrong with them, so it sounds like your boy is healthy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts