Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my girls has discovered her legs and loves to jump on anything and everything she can reach--problem is that we spend play time in the bathroom for now, which doesn't afford her too many opportunities (that aren't slick or slippery surfaces she probably shouldn't be testing her jumping powers on).

Any ideas for crafts to appeal to jumpers? I think jumping and hopping is a great way for her to get all of her energy out and I want to allow her that chance, but for now she's resorted to jumping on the very edge of the bathtub's sliding door rail, which she easily slips off of.

I don't have a terrible lot of boxes to make a big castle out of... & I thought about cat climbers but they're so expensive! It's a shame I can't stick lava ledges into the walls.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hang a towel or blanket over the side of the tub for easier climbing and jumping. Hang a fat rope up in there. If you have access to safe trees that haven't been sprayed get a fat branch to lean up against the wall. Even something like an old large plastic bucket or bin can be turned into something fun, just wrap it with fleece or some kinda material that is easy to climb up. You can use the bin as a storage spot for toys and blankets that are used in the bathroom when not in use as well. If you want to use the lava ledges, you can also use those on the bucket or bin.

·
Registered
368 Posts
M
ay not work In your case, but I put this out for others I had a playpen from when I had my guinea pig. As I planned to run them in our spare room, I did not need the pen. My husband broke it into two pieces (it was the wire pen, that you could fold to store. He folded the longer half, and secured it with zip ties I leaned it against the window sill, and they climbed up and down to play on the sill. The other half I leaned against my chair, so they could climb into my lap

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Can you try training her? If she learns to jump on command, that could let her get her jumps out and be fun. You can have her jump from surfaces (like the bed) into your hands, or jump onto the bed or from chairs etc just make sure she's safe and wont' fall! I would also recommend rat safe thick wood branches (can bake or freeze to clean it) You can also try making mountains out of clothes and blankets bunched up. One of my girls loves to be tossed and will bounce back over to me for more. I usually jostle her around in my hands for a second, adn give her a short toss a foot or two away from me into a pile of blankets and she loves it! Your jumpy girl might like that too :p

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions, all C: I'm going to have to keep those in mind and figure out some ways for her to jump about.

@Finnebon: I'd love to train her to jump! But we're working hard at just getting her to come when called for now, which she has her own ideas about...if I could just get them both to come reliably they could have so much more freedom and spots to jump and maybe even free range my room, but they're little popcorns right now and I don't want them to disappear or hole up somewhere I can't find them...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rats definitely have their own ideas about everything. When we first got Thelma and Louise, we could put them on our couch and they would stay there and just run all over it. They would stare over the edge of the couch and you could tell that they wanted to get down, but they were still babies and didn't know they could do it. Then just 4 months later, we started letting them out to roam in the livingroom. We went on vacation for a week and left them in the care of my BF's adult son. He must have let them out of the cage a lot during that week because when we got back, they owned the place. LOL They jumped on and off the couch with ease.

Louise discovered every cubby hole that exists in our apartment. She went in and out of them frequently. She never stayed long because it was probably boring to her. For some reason, Thelma never entered them. We blocked most of them for fear she might chew the plumbing or something. They have chewed quite a few power cords, though, some completely in half. It's been really difficult to get them all completely out of their reach, so we are very watchful while they're free of their cage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts