Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be rushing this a bit since Alfie just came home last night, but he does not climb... at all. His last owner used the ramps and whatnot that the Feisty Ferret cage came with. I don't intend to use them at all, as I'd rather he climb and keep fit. Since he hasn't had to up til this point I'm curious if he'll figure it out. Right now his food is on the only shelf in his temporary cage (petsmart rat starter kit), so he has to get up to the shelf in order to get his food. It appeared like he may have eaten a couple lab blocks during the night.

Has anyone had experience with super lazy boys not wanting to climb?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
He'll figure it out eventually. It's best to really encourage him to climb since it's a great way to keep them fit. Keep food and interesting things on the shelves and some comfy hammocks or something. He may already be climbing and you just haven't witnessed it yet :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks KKS, I'm sure you're right, and I'm just being a wee bit impatient. I'm so pleased to actually have him I want everything to be perfect. I do have a couple not so stellar hammocks in his cage now for him, and he checked one out (the one that came with him) but didn't climb into it. Every time I was messing around with his cage yesterday he wanted out of it, and was climbing out the little drop down door... So I suppose I shoudl be greatful he's not jumping down yet, or I'd have had a rat on the loose.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If he wants out of the cage, take him into a bathroom or somewhere you can sit with him without losing track of him. The bathroom is usually my go to free roam area for new rats since it's enough room for them to romp around but there's no places for them to hide that I can't reach.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My big boys used to climb a lot when they were babies, but now they only do the minimum amount possible (as in, they only climb what I force them to climb). I don't know if that's a normal thing for boys in general, but it's definitely a thing for mine! haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts