Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we need to clip are rats nails? My mom said when she has a rat she didn't and he was fine. Do they chew there nails to clip them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If they are quite long, I would. Depends on the rat. Sometimes you don't need to that much.

I normally wait until my rat is being a monkey and climbing up the cage and I just take normal nail clippers and carefully trim one by one while she's climbing and taking breaks so she doesn't get stressed out from being held and clipped.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You can clip your rat's nails, I just did nail clipping with my girls actually! You just take baby nail clippers and trim off the sharp end of their nail. You have to be careful not to cut into the quick of the nail because that hurts the rat and it will bleed. If you do cut into the quick you can stop the bleeding with corn starch pressed onto the nail. I would keep some nearby until you feel confident that you can clip their nails easily. This is a video I found to be the most helpful when I was learning to trim rat nails! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R_FHoLC6s4 Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts