Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boys' nails are getting long and they're super sharp. I know I can clip their nails but I've never done it and I'm really nervous about doing it. Is there an alternative to clipping their nails that will keep them short and not sharp? My roommate suggested a light sandpaper but I'm not even sure about that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
581 Posts
There's something called a lava ledge that people seem to use a lot. It has a rough surface, so it naturally grinds the claws of your rats when they use it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've heaed you can use an emory board (sp?) Like what humans use to file nails. However it's really not that bad cutting them! You really can see the red quick (blood supply) and as long as you don't clip that you're good. Be aware though that one of mine screams bloody murder when I bring out the nail clippers, so they might cry when you cut their nails regardless of whether you're actually hurting them!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I cut mine but it is definetly a two person job. You can see the quick but they are squrmiy so you have to be patient.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's something called a lava ledge that people seem to use a lot. It has a rough surface, so it naturally grinds the claws of your rats when they use it.
Is it safe to use for rats then? And where can they be found?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the worlds squirmiest rat and I manage to cut her nails pretty easily. I sit her down in my lap and position her on my leg and feed her shredded cheese or spaghetti out of my palm. I use the other hand to clip the nails (I just push the clippers down into my own skin so that I can get under her nails. Sounds a little weird and I can explain more details if you'd like). She is definitely not gonna be going anywhere when she's eating so I usually can get all her back nails in just a few tries this way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts