Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, but I'm a moderator on another forum with over 100 000 users that use the same board software.

What I have noticed around this forum is that several threads that are old are being dragged up again.

Why not close the old threads that you don't want to be dragged up or that died a long time ago? It would make the boards cleaner and dead threads would remain dead.

It's just a suggestion.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's nice in theory but that would require ALOT of moderation, and alot of time on the moderators' part. It's less headdache for us to lock them only if they get pulled up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a moderator at the other site, with far more users we do it all the time, and it just sort of flow smoothly. Threads with no replies in over 1-2 months gets locked. Maybe not for "Meet my Pet" but for several others it wouldn't take much work. Maybe to begin with since it hasn't been done, but once the initial work has been done, a moderator needs to look over the board once a week and it shouldn't be much work.

And I have noticed that even if threads do get pulled up, they are not being locked.

I'm just saying what I'm seeing. As a moderator I guess I'm used to a board being run one way, doesn't mean that all boards should be ran that way.

And if you need a person just to lock threads, let me know.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I still believe though (and I know the other mods will feel the same way) that for the amount of effort it will take for us to get this started and maintained it will be easier and less trouble on our part to just deal with the occasional posts that are brought up. I do see where you're coming from, and if people dragging up posts was more of an issue we would be more inclined to see it done the way you suggest, but we don't view it as a big enough problem for such aggressive moderating tactics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess that is fair. This board is not that big, so I guess it's not that big of a problem. We also have more moderators for each section.

It was just a suggestion.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Though this discussion is mostly done, on this forum I'd rather have those old posts unlocked. In a perfect world, I'd rather someone drag up an old thread on a topic that's already been discussed rather than create a new topic about it.

It is true that sometimes people drag up old threads for no reason, but if they have a legitimate question on the thread I see no reason why it shouldn't be dragged back up, and I'd hate for them to not have that option.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes; other rat forums I know do that. Ratman, the board adminatrator, hardly ever comes on. How do I contact him? Thanks. I second it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not meaning to spam, just wanted to add.

I am also a moderator on another rat forum too, so is my dad, but for a bussiness HP forum.

My mom is a moderator on our city's forum,

http://www.paloaltoonline.com

EdwardGiacomo, which website are you a moderator on :)??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not a moderator for a rat forum, but for www.fanforum.com
We have Threads: 118,895 | Posts: 19,133,579 | Members: 153,793
We don't use coopermine there, but I also moderate another forum, but it's a hidden and locked one and we use coopermine

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I prefer someone pulling up an old thread (I moderate as well) if they have a question relevant to the post. This means your members are reading back posts and learning :) If its not relevant, just remind them of the date.

I used to be a member for a forum that locked everything down, I absolutely hated that. :evil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts