Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i overheard a supposed "animal expert" talking about how chichillas and rabbits and stuff will eat clovers as a treat. Will rats eat this too, is it safe for them. Theres a nice size patch in my yard where clovers grow aolong as some other weeds. We dont use any chemicals in the yard so its safe in that aspect.
Anyone have any input about this???

I figure if i wash it off, I can throw a bunch in there and let him munch on it or nest it or whatever he wants :?: .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
figured i throw this in there too.....from wikipedia.

Clover (Trifolium) is a genus of about 300 species of plants in the pea family Fabaceae. The genus has a cosmopolitan distribution; the highest diversity is found in the temperate Northern Hemisphere, but many species also occur in South America and Africa, including at high altitudes on mountains in the tropics.

They are small annual, biennial, or short-lived perennial herbaceous plants. The leaves are trifoliate (rarely 5- or 7-foliate), with stipules adnate to the leaf-stalk, and heads or dense spikes of small red, purple, white, or yellow flowers; the small, few-seeded pods are enclosed in the calyx.

Other closely related genera often called clovers include Melilotus (sweet clover) and Medicago (alfalfa or 'calvary clover'). The "shamrock" of popular iconography is sometimes considered to be young clover.

The scientific name derives from the Latin tres, "three", and folium, "leaf", so called from the characteristic form of the leaf, which has three leaflets (trifoliate); hence the popular name trefoil. Clovers are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species; see list of Lepidoptera which feed on Clovers.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i don't see why it would be a problem, but make sure that water runoff from places such as your neighbors yards is also chemical-free.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've never tried it with rats, but I know my bunny loves to munch on clover when he's out on the grass! Guinea pigs love it too. I'd imagine it's safe though maybe someone else knows for sure?

Oh, and I found this, but maybe someone could make better sense of it? It seems like it has a lot of Vitamin A. Just a warning though, this is a paper on an experiment on rats and some seem to have met less than kind deaths.

http://jds.fass.org/cgi/reprint/18/10/639.pdf

·
Registered
358 Posts
I LOVE watching in Bambi, when they ate the clovers and nuzzled themselves in the plants. Looked like fun, lol. Just a random thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts