Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, Athena has been really clumsy. It seems focused in her forearms. She's fallen five times in an hour all again due to balancing on or hanging on with her forearms. They seem stiff and she is holding them far apart away from her when she walks, giving her a weird slinking gait.

She doesn't have a head tilt or anything. No lung noises. No apparent pain in her limbs. No lumps or bumps. I only ask here because I just spent $300 putting my mama Caius down and can't afford a vet again just yet.

· Registered
8,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh god

I'll have to try Cheerios with her. She had corn tonight but didn't obviously need to hold it. I'll pick some Cheerios up tomorrow and try.

Rats are breaking my heart :(

· Registered
8,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just realized I had some photos of her from earlier with the corn. In the photos, while she is relying on one hand more than the other she is clearly eating with both hands and supported entirely by spine and hind legs. Is this a good sign?

· Registered
4,577 Posts
Could just be early stages. I'd put money down that this is a neurological issue.

· Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You dont have to use cheerios, anything small but exciting that they can hold in both paws works well. You can also try a bar grab test, hold them up to the bars of the cage and encourage them to grab on, your looking for weakness or lack of coordination when grabbing. Watching them wash themselves is also a good way to id neuro issues. They tend to lack coordination and be clumsy and floppy when washing there face.

· Registered
8,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was trying to video record her, she was doing okay - leaning slightly on her elbows every now and then, but using both hands (one did appear clubbed when eating but not at any other time) but the main problem is she got spooked by the camera and when trying to relocate to eat took a header off the ladder. Normally she would not.

I'll try to record more later my phones camera sucks and I don't know how to upload from my dslr.

· Registered
8,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did the bar test. She did not grip with her right paw, it was clubbed. After a few seconds she grabbed on and climbed. She seemed very clumsy though.

If this is a PT how quick do I have to act with steroids and should I do anything special like put her in the hospital cage?

· Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If its just the one paw it could well be a sprain, it may be worth testing her weight bearing with it, even popping her on some painkiller, just don't do this if your going to the vet to ask for steroids as you need to leave a 24 hour gap between them. If she seems confused or not quite herself then it's more likley to be a pt or other neuro issue, if not then I would trtreat as an injury first

If it is a PT then the sooner you can get them on steroids the more time you have with them, it's one to think of though, I only do steroids if the rat is otherwise fit well and enjoying life. If they are on quality of life watch anyway then I put to sleep after saying my good byes. A PT won't get better and can be very distressing for the rat in its later stage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.