Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just found out that my one female has bitten a hole through the bottom of the pan, and has started to bite another hole on another side of the pan. They love chewing the sides of the pan, and it worries me because one I'm pretty sure I don't want my rats chewing plastic (who would?) and two, I've gone on Amazon to price out replacement CN pan liners and they're 29.99$ not including shipping. I'm hesitant to buy another pan for that much when I'm pretty sure my one rat will just chew another hole through it. They also like to chew the fleece that I lay down, attacking the corners to lift it up - which is where I'm assuming the chewing started on the pans.

Do you guys have any suggestions for replacement pans that won't be chewed/chew holes through?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im wondering if the stainless steel one would be worth getting? I've heard that people have to paint over the pans so they're pee-proof but then you have to wait a month for it to cure.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's really the only option if you want durable pans. Plastic just doesn't cut it if you have that serious of a chewer. I've heard that it absorbs smell but you can soak it in a vinegar solution to get the smell out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I cured my bass pan for 12 days. You just need to wait until all odor is gone from the paint. I love my bass pan, using actual bedding (Eco bedding) has cut way the rat stink way down.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cured my bass pan for 12 days. You just need to wait until all odor is gone from the paint. I love my bass pan, using actual bedding (Eco bedding) has cut way the rat stink way down.
I really would love to do it, then I wouldn't be spending $20 on fleece every month. My girl's are litter trained though, so i'm curious if having eco bedding would mess that up?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Is that what you use in the litter box too? Because that would be confusing for them if so. And you would spend that much in bedding anyway, haha.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I vastly prefer the stainless steel pans to the galvanized ones you have to paint, painting is a pain and has to be redone fairly often. I also requested an extra 1/2 " for a little more money. Worth it, imo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts