Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I really want to get a Critter Nation cage for my mischief which has grown to three this weekend after I got a "free to a good home" rat on Friday. He is super sweet and I think he will get along well with my laid back couple, but I feel like my current cage is too small for 3. Ideally I want a CN cage but I have dogs, and one of the dogs is definitely into eating the rats. Putting the CN cage in another room is not an option, as much as I wish, as space in our house is at a premium. I have a good place to put the CN cage but I'm worried about little rattie tails hanging out and getting bit by the dog that wants to have Rat au Gratin for dinner. Has anyone successfully made a barrier? I'm thinking if I get those storage cube sections from Target that I used for my rabbit I could make a barrier as my dog is only 13 lbs. Advice is appreciated!

Currently I have a temporary quarantine cage for the new rat and a two-tier cage for the current rats. They sit on the dining room table which we never use (two 30-something no human kids adults, we eat on the couch!), and that's out of reach of the dogs. Or, any good ideas for a 3 rat cage that will fit on a dining room table lol??

·
Registered
69 Posts
You could put plexi glass along the bottom perimeter of the cage. I use to have a 6 inch border of coroplast along the bottom of my DCN. It was not that attractive, but it worked fine.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Martin's cages are really nice and they sit on table tops well! Scatter guards are deff an option if you go with the CN cage. They make them specifically for CNs but you could make your own out of coroplast/plexiglass/cardboard/anything relatively durable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts