Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this, so sorry if it fit better elsewhere.

I'm getting my male Ostrich neutered, and I'm keeping female babies. I've decided to get a FN, and I was hoping to put them together (after the 3 week post neuter period) and I wanted to know if it would be ok.

Also........I have fallen in love with one of the boy babies, and I was thinking about keeping him, and neutering him when he is old enough. Then I'd have two neutered males with females. Would THIS be ok?

I'd like to hear about any experiences members have had with co-ed cages!

thanks!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Yes, that's all fine.

As long as the three week-after-neuter rule is followed and all the rats are properly introduced, there shouldn't be any problem.

:)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
With proper intros, and three weeks after neuters it will be fine! Keep in mind the baby will be able to impregnate females after 5weeks of age and might not be able to be neutered until a couple of weeks later so you will probably need a seperate cage for him and a friend until that can be arranged.

But it is fine, the girls will probably welcome them with open arms introduced properly <3

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poppyseed said:
Keep in mind the baby will be able to impregnate females after 5weeks of age and might not be able to be neutered until a couple of weeks later so you will probably need a seperate cage for him and a friend until that can be arranged.
If I got the "ok" my plan was to keep Ostrich and Ozone in the same cage until he is old enough to get the operation. I want to order my FN soon, so my girls will be switched to that cage.

Phew..... by the end of this whole experience i'll have 4 cages!

Thanks guys! I was hoping i'd get the ok because I wanted to keep ozone..... and well all of them HAHA but i have a few homes already lined up! anyhoo thanks again!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Well, with any new rats there is always a chance of personalities clashing and having seperate cages. It's lessened by neutering males it seems though, as that is where most of the clashing happens. I hope everyone gets along alright!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Are you going to hardware cloth the FN? Ozone might still be small enough to slip through for a while. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd imagine so! I've already put hardware cloth on my coast cage mansion, so the babies won't escape. I really hope an FN is the right choice. I'm keeping one baby male (who will be neutered) and 4 of the females (or five) so i need the space!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts