Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The one you've linked to is far too small. Which 5 story one were you looking at?

My issue with Coast Cages is that they're heavy and can get hard to clean the bigger they get. The wheel seems to take up space and it's often best to cut it out.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Just because two rats fit in the cage doesn't mean they're happy, though. 13 inch height isn't really enough to stretch out on their hind legs or to do any climbing, which they enjoy. Rats tend to need 2 square feet each.

I think the 5 story one would be fine if you use the space well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They got the measurements messed up...It is 16 inches high and bunch of reviews on it and people luv it!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had one of the coast cages and I hated it with apassion. Alot of the other rat people around here are really against it because they have had rats break their legs in the wheel and shelves. Plus they are a PAIN to cean. I would stay away from coast cages at all costs!!

**This is of course just my opinion and it is simply based on my personal experience and the experience of direct friends of mine.**

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How on the wheels when they are solid...and ramps i have solution just put like cloth on the ramps or something...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It's still just big enough for one rat. And rats do best in pairs.

I've read the reviews and the ones saying they have 2-3 rats in that cage make me cringe. But some of them have very good points. Did you note the one the stated that it was unsafe for tails? Or the ones that said they had to upgrade when the rats got bigger? Or that it's only good for one rat? Or that the bars are too wide for young rats and they can escape?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of cage do you suggest..I live in califnornia....my budget is like 50-80 dollars

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The first one is not solid LoL and the second one is more the weight of it and the pain of cleaning it. Plus you would need to cover all of the shelves and ramps and in the five story one it would be interesting cleaning it all out and replacing it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Where in California do you live? Petsmart has a few nice cages but the chances of it being only 80 dollars is gonna be hard. Have you tried craigslist?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stephanie said:
The first one is not solid LoL and the second one is more the weight of it and the pain of cleaning it. Plus you would need to cover all of the shelves and ramps and in the five story one it would be interesting cleaning it all out and replacing it.
It is weird how they show you in the image it isn't solid but when it gets to you it is lol.

I live in San Ramon

Also this person has two female rats and uses the cage i posted...

http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=4473.html

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The one I had was not solid at all and I ripped the wheel off because of it. It really is only big enough for one rat as well as being hard to decorate it appropriately I could never find a space to put enough hammocks and toys for the ratties.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Raris said:
Stephanie said:
It is weird how they show you in the image it isn't solid but when it gets to you it is lol.

I live in San Ramon

Also this person has two female rats and uses the cage i posted...

http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=4473.html
CaptainFlow said:
A bit on the small side for two girls, I know, but they get lots of out time,
Yes, you see?

The old version of the cage had the wire wheel. The new cages have solid wheels. I still consider the wheel dangerous, rambunctious young ones can get their head caught between it and the wall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know can you give me some photos/link of good cages for two female rats (small).

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have that cage, the Ritz Condo one.

I personally find cleaning to be a breeze, but since I had an aquarium for so many years, my standards are pretty low, I'll admit.

I have it for two girls, and it is definitely a little on the small side. I try to make up for this by taking them out and playing with them for an hour or so twice a day, and usually three or four hours at night (well, I don't PLAY with them the whole time, but they have free range of my bed almost all evening). If I couldn't assure them this, I would definitely get a bigger cage. All they do is sleep in there- if they were actually awake, and only got a half hour or an hour outside of their cage, it would be way too small.

Take out the wheel- I just did this, and even though I haven't replaced it yet, I feel like there's a better way to use that space than they gave me. Cover the wire, move the bottom ramp to make it another shelf. I'm going to try to make another shelf up above where the old wheel used to be, depending on where the new wheel fits.

I personally like how solid it is- I used to have a pretty flimsy cage and I could hear my rats wherever they were.

But you should get a bigger cage, if you could. I'm just too limited in space, otherwise I'd be saving up for something bigger myself. The five story one would probably be great.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I am a bit of a hammock freak and all of my rats have a ridiculous amount of hammocks hung in their cages. Three is just not enough for me personally. and the more hammocks means the more fun!!

How young are the females? You may want to just order something from www.martinscages.com honestly they are the best in my opinion. I have a R695 for some of my boys and I LOVE it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like that one a lot. I'll be getting them from a breeder.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts