Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the cage question has been beaten to death, but I have to ask anyway!

I'm getting two girl ratties pretty soon (oops litter nearby), and have to set up somewhere for them to live before they get here!

I know the FNs are highly recommended by everyone on the site, but I think that it won't work for me because of the cost, and how heavy it is. My rats aren't going to like, live on the road, but they will be moved every long school holiday, so I need to get something light enough to transport easily(ish).

What I would really like is a Coast Cage Ritz Rat Condo. (http://www.coastcages.com/catalog/i..._id=42&zenid=436f3e95c1682c08b68a550c2bdfa557). It sounds like it fits my needs pretty well, including cost and relative ease of transport. Plus there's just something I really like about it. The FNs and Martins cages don't have the same mysterious pull about them. This cage says "go get your rats, it's party time!" to me.

However, I ran it through the Rat Calculator, and it said that this cage could only have one rat! If I put it on the second best spacing, it said there was space for two, if utilized wisely. I know I didn't put the shelf space into the equation, which is probably part of using space wisely, as well as adding hammocks and getting rid of that wheel (if these two are anything like my previous rats, it will just be ignored anyway).

But is that right? Can that cage really only fit one rat? It sure looks good when I go look at it at PetCo. And it sure beats what I kept previous babies in years ago- a 10 gallon aquarium topped with a birdcage with a hole in the bottom. Talk about your cleaning nightmare, and I had that thing for about eight years! But it got the job done (except for one particularly talented escape artist).

I know it's no FN, but budget and weight issues mean I shouldn't get that. Plus that big door scares me- I had enough troubles keeping rat faces inside with just a little birdcage opening! Like I said, they'll have hammocks and climbing ropes and fun things, plus of course lots of out of cage time. But I just wanted to make sure that it's really not far too small for two girlies before I purchased... Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
[align=center]If you get that cage, you should take out that wheel. If your ratties run in it their toes and/or tails might get stuck in the little holes.

And if you have time for the shipping, you should order the cage from the website instead of buying it from Petco. You would have to pay taxes at Petco. If you order it from the website, the shipping is free. And when I ordered my cage from there, I got 2 extra feeding cups and an extra bottom dish. At the Petco near my house, they didn't offer those extra things.[/align]

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i think if you take out the wheel and hang up extra hammocks and stuff, it could hold two girls (boys generally get bigger...). i think it's a decent cage, i had a little one for my hamster for a long time, it's very easy to clean (at least the little one was...). i totally understanding moving back and forth = boo. :p i'm moving back up to school tomorrow. awesome.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have two of those cages, one with a wheel and one without. I agree that if you remove the wheel, it will be okay for two girls. My two girls lived in the one with the wheel for about a month, and I hated it. It was too small for them.

The first time I used the wheel-less one was as a travel cage for my boy when I had to petsit for a weekend, and I was really surprised at how much better it is. I actually like that one. I'm using it now as a quarantine cage for my new girl.

Oh, and some of the Coast Cages have solid wheels now. A lot of people mention the mesh wheels in there, but I got mine back in April and it has a solid wheel. But take it out anyway ^_^

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks! I'm glad that the cage will work out after all!

I was definately planning on buying from the website, PetCo out here wants $75 for it! Only $55 on the website. That's markup for ya.

And yes, the wheel is definately going. I've had experiences with wheels in the past, they'll just have to get their exercize during out of cage time when they can run around on the floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts