Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Coast Cage, and it came with a wheel attatched. It's an okay wheel as far as wheels go, pretty quiet, with a solid base.

But I'd like to take it out, get a Wodent Wheel (one of my girls really doesn't use the wheel, I think a Wodent would be just the thing to get her going), and redecorate for a more efficient use of space.

I know people have taken these wheels out before. My question is: HOW!?

I've tried pliers, I've tried wire cutters, I've tried just pulling on it. The thing doesn't want to budge! And I don't want to leave a sharp something for the girls to get hurt on. In fact, I'd like to just take the wheel, and leave the axel, to use as support for a little shelf or something.

Ideas?! Thanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
can you post a pic of how it is attached?
that would help us to come up with plans to destroy it :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I took the wheel out of one... it was a bugger though

this is similar to the one I altered:

You will need a heavy duty cutter. I happen to have more tool's than Tim from Tool Time ar-arr-arrrr-rooh

This is what I used:
Klein Journeyman 2000 Series High-Leverage Side-Cutting Pliers

First I cut the tip that held the wheel & then I bent the spindle so that it would stick out toward the exterior of the cage. I then snubbed it off short & capped it with a plastic cap so I wouldn't injure myself on it

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, here are some photos.

I'll see if I can pick up some heavier wire cutters, I'm glad that something worked for you!

·
Registered
532 Posts
looking at the last pic, it seems like you could "rip" the L-shaped piece off if you put enough force behind it. is there room to stick something between it and the main cage bars to try to pry it off? or maybe grabbing the top of the L piece and turning it like a handle to "pop" it off? though it may be soldered on pretty well...i don't know how study your cage is, but i could tear mine apart pretty easily if i ever needed to :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That thing can't be ripped off - I tried ^^; I almost managed to get the wheel off the axle by kind of filing down the wider end. I stopped messing with it before I actually got it off though, because someone gave me the same cage with the wheel already cut out.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HA! I did it!!

It was actually pretty easy- if you grab the holder parts, and kind of bend them back and forth until the legs snap off of the actual wheel part. We were trying to attack the strong points of the wheel, when it was sooo much easier to attack the weak point- the join of the wheel to the legs.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
yup, that is the same thing I altered

those Klein pliers I showed aren't cheap... $35/$40

Maybe you can ask around to see if someone has something similar.

Once you have the tool all you will need is a firm grip

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have too much time on my hands.

But it was super easy to get it out once I figured out how, no pliers or wire cutters needed!

Here's my fabuloso illustration-
Wodent Wheels and yogies all around!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts