Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a bunch of threads about coat types, and flipping through breeder examples here and there. My girls Ursa and Minora supposedly came from a rex to standard breeding, but the people I took them from really didn't seem to know what they were talking about at all when it came to their markings and coat types. When I first got them I just assumed they were "bad rexes', but I'm second guessing myself a little bit. One of the first rats I had years ago was a agouti who was a bad rex. We bought him from a pet store and his coat was just a mess of half curls and patchy straight places, but he had the super curly whiskers and all that. Ursa and Minora definitely aren't standard coat. Their fur is insanely soft, way too much so to be standard, but they have no curling or waving in their fur. There are some days where they seem messier than others, and I'll notice maybe the tiniest bit of extra messiness (generally around their neck and behind their ears), but they have no curl whatsoever. Their fur is also a little bit longer and fluffier here and there, but nothing super noticeable. Unlike the first rex I had, they don't have the curly whiskers - but they aren't straight, either. They're somewhat straight as they come out of their face, then bend and curve in or out a little more than halfway down - sort of hooked-like. Their whiskers just above their eyes are the curliest thing about them, and kind of curl inwards to rest in a loose loop, which isn't much but still much more curved than the rest of their whiskers. I read velveteens have whiskers that curve, but I doubt the chances of them being velveteens are very high. Is it possible for rexes to just be bred so poorly that they have no curl in their coats whatsoever? I thought I read that female rexes loose their curl a lot as they get older, but Ursa and Minora's coats have changed very little - there was never any curl there in the first place, but I'm certain they aren't standards because of how cotton-y their coats feel. Is it possible for bad rexes to not just have poor coats, but have no curl? Ursa and Minora's coats are full and very healthy and good looking, but the texture vs. the lack of curl is really confusing me! Does anyone know anything about it? Thanks so much!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.