Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out what kind of coats my rats have. Some are obviously standards, with coarser short fur, but I'm really confused about the others. Several of them are very, very soft, but their fur seems to fall into two distinct categories. In fact, I'd say that the ones that look like silkys have coarser fur than the fluffy, cottony other ones. I read about rexes, but these girls aren't the least bit wavy or curly. Their whiskers look like standard rat's do, too.

Is there such a thing as a straight-haired rex?

The silkys have long, smooth hair that sits closer to the body that the standards. It's incredibly shiny, and there's been a lot of yellowing on the white hair.

The ones I'm confused about are slightly more puffy than standards, and their hair seems to be pretty short compared to the silkys. They feel like living cotton balls.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found a website for the Rat Fancier's Club and they have descriptions with pictures of some rat coats. Maybe they're one of those? I can't really be of much help since I can't see them. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i think there can be straight haired rexes. not all rex baies keep their wavy coats but i've found their hair stays fairly coarse. Belle ReachTheStars' new girl is a rex but her wave didn't stay tight. her fur is still coarse though, well coarser then other girl standard haired rats her age. Belle's brother, Bribery (my boy) is the same way though that could be because he's a boy. though i thought boy's fur didn't get coarse until after their moult. anyway, that's my two cents on the straight haired rexes.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I agree with 2manyrats. I've had lots of standard rats in my care over the years, and lots of rex rats too. Some standards just have more coarse fur - even if they only have standard rats in their lines.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
rats with curly or wavy hair. a doube rex has hair that is so curly that it will continously fall out and grow back in. making you have a a slightly different looking rat all the time. double rexes are also known as patcwork rats because of the random patches of hair that grows in and out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts