Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my two babies today. I haven't had rats in almost 10 years! Their names are Cobra and Kai. They're from Totes For Realz Rattery in PA. Trying to just let them relax and get used to their new surroundings but it's so hard because they're adorable. Thankfully they're coming out to explore a little.

Cobra is a black dumbo hooded and Kai is a fawn top ear hooded. Kai will be a more brilliant orange color once he grows out of his baby fur!

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
399 Posts
They are sooo cute. I hope your bond and figure out their personality soon make sure to send updates.

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
653 Posts
Yes, please send updates! They are so precious!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's getting dark now, so they're becoming more adventurous lol. I've been watching them for hours now.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
399 Posts
You might already do this but try talking to them to get them used to your voice

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
244 Posts
Aw, what cuties! :) CongRATs on your ratties!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got Kai to take a little bit of bread crust from me. I held it at first, so he had to nibble on it with me nearby, then broke off a little piece for him to take and snack on at his leisure. Lol. I said his name a few times while he was eating it from my hand.

Cobra was taking a nap inside a fleece pocket, so I didn't bother him.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
653 Posts
That's great! Look at Cobra and Kai's little hands :love:!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had Cobra out for about an hour yesterday. He found a nice spot inside my cardigan and fell asleep! And he didn't even poop on me, lol.

And then today I had Kai out, he prefers being on my shoulders. I think I had him out for maybe 30 minutes. And he pooped on me lmao. My boyfriend held him as well.

At this point I've observed that Cobra is more dominant despite being smaller, and he is more cuddly with me. Kai is more lazy/laid back in the cage but is less cuddly with me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cobra and Kai are getting bigger by the day! And more used to me/being handled. Today we had 2 sessions of out-of-the-cage time. I've made a free roam barrier out of coroplast sheets so I can sit on the floor with them outside the cage while remaining safe. They are still a bit skittish but they tolerate me picking them up, holding, and snuggling them. Kai has figured out he can go inside my hoodie behind my neck, when I put my hood up, and he will take a nap back there.

I have reserved a third baby from the same breeder that my current 2 boys are from. He will be ready to come home in a few weeks. He's a Russian Blue rex top ear and I'm very excited to add to my little rat family :) His name will be Ken after the character from Street Fighter (to keep the martial arts theme going, and it goes well with the names Cobra and Kai).

Thanks for the advice and encouragement so far, also <3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts