Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ello everyone. We currently have a neutered male rat who we spend a lot of time with. We recently decided to spoil him by buying a pretty large enclosure (4ft wide x 4ft tall x 2ft deep) and we thought it would be a shame to house him on his own in something that large so are toying with the idea of getting him a couple of girls to keep him company.

I've trawled the internet and done some searches on this forum but struggling to find an answer to my questions.

The 2 girls we are planning on getting have been raised together and shown no aggression towards each other. Would adding a neutered male change anything? Are any of them likely so how aggression to each other or would this be a good pairing?

Any advice would be much appreciated =]

All the best,

Tom

·
Registered
222 Posts
They are likely to be fine. Just do a gradual introduction procedure (you can search "introducing rats" on google). Neutered males and females usually do great together. However, if your male has been on his own a long time, he may have to learn to speak "rat" again, which is the only possible complication. Lone rats often don't have well developed social skills with other rats (since, well, they've been alone).

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did just that only a few days ago. In my case, we had girls first, adopted a boy, neutered him, quarantined, and introduced them. The first try did not go as planned. But after about 7 days of them living in separate cages side by side, and getting used to their scents, they got introduced and live together since Tuesday. It's been only 5 days, but they seem a happy bunch.

Females are smaller than males. The boy, even if neutered, can try to defend his territory. Consider placing the girls in the big cage first, and after quarantine, and a couple of weeks side by side then introduce your boy to them in girls' territory. My experience (sample size of one) was that my boy attacked bars when girls approached his cage. But quickly submitted to girls when he entered their cage.

You can look for my thread on this from a week ago. I'll put some videos of my intro attempts there.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have 5 girls and unexpectedly rescued a male. Got him neutered and had him living near my girls for about a week and then intro'd in the bath tub and then kept them in a cat carrier for a few hours. My boy had been on his own for about 6 months. I was worried he lost his "rat speak" but my girls whipped him back into shape lol. Its only been a few weeks but ive had no problems and my boy is HUGE compared to my girls. However I think its also due to his personality as hes very loving and just the sweetest thing and not too smart lol.

Good luck im sure your boy would love some girlfriends :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts