Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! So i keep my babies in my dorm room (don't worry, they are in the process of getting approved as therapy pets, so they are safe) but my school hasn't turned our heat on yet! I live in CT, so it's starting to get really cold at night, and i know I am freezing. I've taken to moving their cage under my bed for the evening and draping a blanket over the side of the bed, with enough ventilation that they can breath, but hopefully enough protection to be warm. I just want to know if it is ok for them to be in a room that is about 50-55 degrees? They have a warm hammock that is a lil like a sleeping bag that they snuggle inside of, but I am worried! they are only 9 weeks old! will they be ok? thanks so much!

·
Registered
953 Posts
they can handle cold much better than heat. I wouldn't think they are going to let it get down to freezing or anything truly crazy.

Provide them huts and put either substrate or fleece in it, the hanging sleeping bag is good too. At 9 weeks they are fully haired and able to regulate their own heat, so as long as they don't let it go to much lower of a temp they should be fine.

If you are really worried, I've used snuggle pads with my old and/or ones who have had surgery.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...mpid=01csegb&gclid=CILL_ISzwcgCFYpffgodGLoM4Q

Just feel it all over after you microwave it to make sure there are no spots that are too hot. I wrap mine in some fleece and just make sure they can get off it if they don't want that heat. Check often for bite marks. So far I've never had anyone chew them and Ive been using them for about 20 years. They stay warm a very long time-as in when I've gone to work all day or slept..still slightly warm afterwards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah thank you so much :) I am new to this so I'm constantly worried haha. yeah they seem to do better with the cold than I do. I just want to make sure they are the happiest, most comfortable rats out there. is there a way i can tell if they are cold though? do they shiver like people do? sorry if i am neurotic haha

·
Registered
953 Posts
You are doing great worrying about their safety and comfort. Yes they can shiver, but I've never seen any of my healthy rats shiver. Only time I've seen them get cold is right after surgery (anesthetic can mess up their temperature regulation) or my really old, not too well guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for assauging my very late night worry :) i've only had Lisa and Louise for 2 weeks, but i already think of them as my lil baby girls :) my bf keeps refering to me as a rat mom, and honestly, i feel like one

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
They are fine down to about 50 deg F or 10 deg C, and can cope below that as long as they've got a good warm nest box, though you may notice them being less active and needing to eat a bit more if it goes much below. If your worried try throwing an old blanket or similar over the cage at night as it will help retain the heat (though they will chew it and drag it in lol)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts