Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I woke up this morning one of my rats was cold and sluggish, and I don't know any other way to say this: he was peeing blood. Or at least there was a LOT of blood mixed in because it just looked like blood.
I can't see a vet until Monday because mine is closed on weekends.
What does it sound like is wrong with him and what should I do between now and Monday?
He's just a baby, surely less than two months old. Maybe just one month.

-MT :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Try to keep him warm, make sure he's drinking and try to find an emergency vet would be my only thoughts. Someone else may have better ideas. :(

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I haven't had this happen with a rat, but I did have a hamster who was peeing blood. We rushed him to a vet, and when they palpitated him, blood rushed out. :( Late-stage kidney disease, he was suffering and was put to sleep.

If I were you, I'd find an e-vet pronto... Just in case it's bad but can be caught before it's anything too serious. If he's cold and sluggish, along with the blood, it's SERIOUS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forensic said:
Try to keep him warm, make sure he's drinking and try to find an emergency vet would be my only thoughts. Someone else may have better ideas. :(
He doesn't seem able to warm up. I've been keeping in my hands for warmth and also gently wrapping him in a towel but he's staying colder than normal although he seems a little more active. I think he must have got cold in the night somehow.

-MT

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
If you have a microwavable wheat baggie, they are generally good to keep them warm while wrapped in a towel and 'parcelling' the rat within a second towel on top.

As for peeing blood, I have only had this happen with one of my rats, although it did not come on suddenly. Have you only just noticed the blood? It may be an infection, or some more serious complication e.g. the 't' word.

I'd suggest finding a vet asap, although, like you, my vets are closed on the weekends and unless you can afford emergency fees, it's just not an option. Keep him warm, quiet and well hydrated until then. The perkier you can keep him, the better.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got him to the vet Monday morning and she said there was nothing that could have been done even if I'd brought him in on Saturday. :(
This is the second rat I've lost this summer. :(

-MT

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm so sorry...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts