Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have got a bit of a tricky one. Our little baby Tahini has recently had surgery as she had a polyp in her colon area. The polyp was succesfully removed and she was doing really great! However, a polyp in the colon can be a sign of colon cancer. As I've been observing her, I've seen her slightly decline in happiness. She still comes out of the cage and is generally happy and curious, she is also sometimes chewing on her (cardboard) litter box bedding and is lying down and bruxing a bit more. To me this indicates that she is in pain sometimes and her health is declining.

I've heard from the vets that colon cancer is just not something they can treat. She is on steroids and on pain meds (opium) just to make sure she has a good quality of life. She is also getting laxatives to make sure everything keeps running smoothly. Now we are going on holiday next week Friday and she and her sisters will be put up with a very experienced rat sitter. I am just a bit scared of what to do.. when is her quality of life bad enough to have her euthanized.. and what if I'm not there to make the decision.. the holiday is only two weeks, we'll be back on the 12th of December. But I just want to make sure that I am 100% confident about not making the decision before our holiday.

Even worse, my partner is already at the destination, so if I need to make the decision this week, he is not even around to grief for our little one as well. She seems happy enough, she hasn't lost any weight and she is eating and drinking normally. However, as she lies around being in pain, that's also not good.. and it could decline maybe quite quickly.

Does anyone have any advice or experience? Thank you!

· Registered
1,758 Posts
There is a chance that she could deteriorate whilst you are away.Is your rat sitter ok with dealing with that? She could always video her so you can regularly assess how she is doing.If its her time,its her time and there would be no shame if you couldnt be there as long as you have a responsible person in your place.Tahini knows you love her and care for her.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the super kind reply, I really needed to hear that. I will discuss with the Rat sitter, but she has a sanctuary and has been dealing with 25 years of rat joy and misery. The only problem is, that we will be in Africa with super little reception.. so I an really hoping I will receive messages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts