Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on having three rats together vs. two.

15% more work, 30% more rattie joy? Specific pros and cons?

THANKS!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Honestly it's going to depend on the rat dynamics between the 3. As far as more work, depends a lot on the new rat. Say you add someone who doesn't mark, uses a litter box entirely, doesn't hide food, doesn't chew up things and toss them out of the bars. This guy or gal is not going to cause any extra work that you could really even add a percent to. But if you move in pig pen who marks everything in and outside his/her cage, never uses the litter box, chews up everything and then tosses it outside the cage, maybe tosses out a lot of food too just for the funsies. That little guy up it by 200% if you had reasonable clean rats prior.

Rattie joy would not be easy to put a percent on either, however I think 3 is a good number if no other reason if some one passes on they still have another buddy and it will give you time to introduce another (or two) to the group without anyone having to be alone for any length of time.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I agree that 3 is a good number because you won't be scrambling to find a new cagemate when one of them passes. But in my opinion, 2 rats are much easier than 3! I have a Rat Manor and I have to clean a lot more with 3 rats, even though they're all excellent with the litter box. Either way, you can't go wrong. Try two, then try three. Find out what you prefer.

I have no idea how people keep up with more than 3 rats. . .

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have three ratties which works perfect (besides they are males and love to make a mess). One of my rats goes on little dramatic rages leaving the other two able to play with each other. Also if one rat wants to sleep and one wants to play this is perfect because the third rat can play with the other rat. There usually isn't a third wheel problem. With dominance all is well, one rat's on top and other two in the middle. When there is fights or brawls the third usually will break it up. This is just what my rat trio does, all rats are different.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have two, and honestly I wish I had three right now. I thought three would be to much of a handful being Nimbus took up lots of attention. One is sick and the other one is getting lonely right now. Due to quarantine getting a third rat now is almost out of the question. While I've been spending more time with the healthy one(sick one doesn't want company it seems) there is the time I spend sleeping or at work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. The idea of a 3-way wrestling match among 3 young ratties sounds mind-blowingly cute. A two-way skirmish is almost too cute already. I got a baby hoping to add her to our 2 adults, but the adults wouldn't tolerate her, so now we have an adult pair and a young pair. Very tempted to add a third young'n.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.