Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed Rachels fur on her rump is changing....she was a dark brown but lately its been turning red. Her skins not irrated. I'm not sure to be worried or to shrugg it off.

My mom was telling me about hair changing color due to lack of iron maybe.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Jingles, that is odd, because the same thing happened to me with my blue rat Scout. She started turning a reddish color on her rump. I assumed she was just unable to groom it well because it's hard to reach, and I assumed it had become discolored because of that...so I trimmed it (lol, I know, I know...and she did get some funny looks while it was growing in). And it grew back blue, and has stayed blue. I always wondered about that.

EDIT: I have heard of rats "rusting", usually black ones. Two of Scout's black babies are starting to do this, but it's not just on their rumps...it's all over. So, lol, still not sure. Plus, Scout's grew back in blue...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
how old is the rat that seems to be changing color?

I ask this because rats will change color & the ones with white & color will often have additional areas of color show up as they mature.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm not really sure how old she is, but i have had her for about a year and she was already pretty grown when i saved her.

so i should just shrugg it off? nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think it is all normal goings on to be honest.

Lilspaz has a lot of experience with the older ratties, maybe she will have something to contribute about color change in older rats

·
Registered
263 Posts
Actually, Mimzy seems to have some funky redorange ends on part of her neck. It looks like it's just something she rubbed up on (but what...?), but it's been there for a long time and not coming out. She's a pew, by the way ^w^

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I worked at a pet store the rats would spend a lot of time in the tubes and stain it with porphyrin. then, when they laid against the side in the tubes, they got the red/orange porphyrin on their fur.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
zimmyzam said:
Actually, Mimzy seems to have some funky redorange ends on part of her neck. It looks like it's just something she rubbed up on (but what...?), but it's been there for a long time and not coming out. She's a pew, by the way ^w^
This sounds like porphyrin staining... the OP sounds like rusting... rusting happens to lots of rats, especially brown and black ones. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts