Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the other 1/2 wilds I've seen from Hooded Moms all seem to be Berkies. I'm not sure what my furs are. They do have a little of white markings on their tummies. But not anything full. I've got some with a Harry Potter symbol on their belly buttons, some triangles on chests and thin white lines down their tummys and a few with no markings, the under belly is just a silvery color that you see in the pics.

What would the markings be called? I can probably get more pics-They will chase my fingers so climbing pics are the best for tummys.

View attachment 185618

View attachment 185626

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. My part wild was a bareback. Very likely she was a second or third generation cross but some of the other rats in the bin with her that might have been from her litter looked a whole lot like yours.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad they have their little bit of markings, otherwise it would be really rough telling the difference between them. Though I have to flip em lol. Two have white tipped tails as well. Personalities are varied and even without looking at the bellies I usually guess correctly at who I'm with. The boys are super needy and want to stay on a human 24 7 if we'd let them. Zumbug just wants to be pet and to lick you and ride our shoulders. Super squish boys.

the girls are super active maniacs. They are happy to crawl all over us, they will run up into my hands, but they do not want to be actually held so they can't move. I have to have them run into my hand and then I set them on my shoulder to go somewhere. They will cheap at us if we hold them so they can't move. Of course they cheap at their Mom and aunts for holding them down as well. They are going to be handful I'm sure.

I have to say, I really never wanted to have more than 3 rats at any given time, but these guys have just made the whole family so happy. They are all just such smart, happy go lucky little babies it's hard to not just be happy with them all. Even if my cage cleaning went from once a week to every couple days and I have to change my bed sheets almost daily, since they always get under the covers and mark. And I have to bath twice I day cus they must mark my hand, my arm, my hair and my foot too just to be sure. Some are seriously terrible markers, it's not like a little wet spot either-it's dripping from my elbow all the way down to hand. I'm not sure if that much pee is necessary. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
From what I was told if they have white on their tummies and paws they are Berk even if it isn't a full tummy. My little Grey is totally black except for his toes/paws and I was told technically he is a berk. A bad berk, but a berk none the less. If they have no white anywhere and are just the solid agouti then I think they would be self. I think our twin boys are actually self agouti, not berk like I originally thought. Agouti are so weird cause their tummies are lighter then their tops even if they don't have white on their bellies.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you Lita.

I'm confused I think with the selfs and berks. Your description of your grey I would of thought would be a self-maybe a bad self? No such thing? So everyone here has socks, does that make them all berks?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
A self rat can have white paws, it's a fault but not something that makes them berk. If they've got white just on the upper chest i would call them irish, if they've got it on chest and belly then I'd call them a Berkshire even if they are a mismarked one (which are clearly the best type).

marking genes are odd ones. They are kind of dominant but not fully understood yet, so a hooded to a self tends to get you berkys but not always. a berky marking can also crop up in the wild add there's not a big disadvantage to it even without fancys in its past. Then you get the odd ones like the 2 irish girls i had pop out of a self to self mating, from a line with very little markings floating about (we get the odd rouge irish) which then doesn't behave like a typical marking and get passed on. rat genetics are odd at times lol

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ismurat, I've been reading on the genetics-it's pretty interesting. I'm thinking I have two irish-triangles on their chest and white tip tails. Or is that english irish? the ones, like the one above with the squiggly line running down his chest would be a mismarked berkshire, I think? Same with the ones that have the little harry potter mark on their belly button?

The bottom picture with the one reaching for my hand, has no white markings. Would he be a mismarked or faulty self? I'm confused because of the lighter silver on their underbellies. So not sure if that would really be a self or even though not white is it a berky?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i use the UK description of the term irish there which i think the us do call English irish.

In terms of self, its used in different ways depending on the circumstance. i use it to mean a rat who isn't technically marked (white feet alone don't mean the rat is marked much like a few white hair's don't make a rat silvered). in this use of the word agouti rears can be classed as self even with a silver belly as that is there natural belly colour. The other use of the word is to describe all solid colour rats, so those who aren't agouti based or Siamese, so those with roughly the same belly colour as top coat (blacks for example). this is more show terminology so can be useful in that area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.