Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bit of help here with something that's been bothering me recently.

On Jan 1st my two girls ended up giving birth to litters at the same time. I'd been babysitting a friends male prior who was prone to escaping his cage and found him in the other room in our girls cage. Now we were not sure how long he had been in there with her however we prepared right away incase they might be. We didn't find out until new years when my boyfriends sister freaked out after midnight about pink bugs in the cage. Now, my two girls;
Hera, a sweet dumbo I rescued from a friend is an Agouti Dumbo if I'm correct had 13, one small baby girl runt

And my other female Persephone, a ruby eyed white rat (she was adopted from a bad pet store to avoid being sold as snake feed) had 8, one baby boy runt

Now, at this time all the others have found great homes and the male runt grew along side his siblings and filled out by week 6, however we ended up keeping the runt girl, naming her Iris. She was always behind her sibling, no matter what. I supplemented her when we first spotted her, she was smaller than the end of my pinky, her siblings being twice that at least. I was so worried she would not survive but, she is now five months old, now she finally got her fur about 2 months ago, she was very far behind with every milestone. We kept her and one of her sisters, Calypso, who had been developing greatly, she is almost the same size as her mom however, Iris is still MUCH smaller. Roughly one third the size of her mom. I'm just looking for some help, if anyone knows something I can do that might help her pick up a bit more weight, last I weighed her was last month at about 73 grams. She is so much smaller than her mom and sister.
Iris
20200526_223701.jpg 20200526_223716.jpg

Auntie Persephone

Sister Calypso

Momma Hera

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have had to wait due to the pandemic as the vet clinics were closed and only taking emergencies until June 3rd where I live. So we have set up for a visit on June 15th. We have been giving her as much veg and her kibble as she we willingly eat. We feed them Oxbows Essentials but have yet to hear word on some possible supplements that people have had experience with. Our town is so small and we really lucked out when we were told that one of our vets here in town every other day from one city over specialized in rats and would see them. Till then we mainly want to know some peoples first hand experiences :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts