Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being a new rat owner I was wondering about some noises my ratties are making. I have three males (father - maybe 10 or 11 months old now and two sons - unknown ages) that I got in August from the local Humane Society. One of the younger ones, Benny, seems to have a little sneeze sometimes. It's kind of a 'pftht' sound. Although once in a blue moon the others also make a little noise too. They do this when they are all running around exploring and foraging. I almost think the little noise is a way to communicate that they found a treat or something. Do rats 'talk' to each other like this? or do they have some sort of respiratory cold?

·
Registered
Cloud (Dark Phased Pearl) and Dew (American Mink)
581 Posts
Rats will typically not communicate using snuffle sounds. Your rats are probably just excited when foraging and exploring. As for Benny, he might have a URI (upper respiratory infection) but it could be a variety of things like allergies, excitement as well, or permanent sniffles! I’ve heard of a few cases where a rat simply had sniffles their entire life and never suffered from it. How frequently does this sound occur?

·
Registered
365 Posts
It sounds like fooffing from what you describe,a sharp sneezy sometimes faintly squeaky exhalation from the nose,if they fooff near you you get sprayed by saliva.Rats make this noise when they are happy and excited.Yes,rats do talk to one another all the time but in ultrasonic mainly.There is a great documentary on YouTube about it,look up Deep Squeak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like fooffing from what you describe,a sharp sneezy sometimes faintly squeaky exhalation from the nose,if they fooff near you you get sprayed by saliva.Rats make this noise when they are happy and excited.Yes,rats do talk to one another all the time but in ultrasonic mainly.There is a great documentary on YouTube about it,look up Deep Squeak.
Great video Deep Squeak!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts